Working independently, the Director, Agile Development creates and maintains Agile development standards, pre-production environments, and development tools. The principal business outcome of this position is the successful, on-time and on-budget development and completion of projects while minimizing risks and surprises, leveraging a thorough command of contemporary agile development velocity and team leadership practices. In addition, this position partners with other Agile team leaders to share learning, mitigate technical dependencies, plan resource allocation and maximize practice consistency between agile teams.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Create and maintain Agile development standards (TDD, XP, etc.), pre-production environments, and development toolsets.
- Work with the eCommerce team to establish and maintain product backlogs, produce estimates and budgets, and deliver commitments to improve the technology infrastructure business within established parameters while minimizing risk; identify needed resources, remove roadblocks (escalate effectively and keep momentum/focus on the team), etc.
- Monitor and manage team velocity and throughput to maximize future resources; evaluate performance breakdowns when they occur and take immediate action to improve team performance.
- Interpret data to identify prime opportunities; create highly-visible means for measuring breakdowns and work with teams to identify and implement improvements.
- Evaluate current product design approach to ensure end-user customer needs and expectations are met or exceeded.
- Provide hands-on coaching to individual teams on technical practices and all aspects of Scrum, including planning and estimation, daily meetings, team collaboration, tracking progress, and retrospectives.
- Produce advances in team’s development regarding code quality, task estimation, business alignment, and architectural accuracy.
- Identify, track, and report on meaningful performance/progress metrics, and assist the team in achieving performance goals.
- Clearly communicate information to team and ensure that any plan changes are reported quickly and accurately.
- Stay abreast of all current and future technological trends and developments.
- Partner across multiple business units and functional departments to develop and deploy solutions that address key business processes. Support the overall Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) and Enterprise Content Management initiatives.
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
- Critical Thinking: Formulating workable solutions to complex challenges; logically deliberating on courses of action by examining and challenging assumptions, discerning hidden value, objectively evaluating evidence, and assessing conclusions.
- Emotional Intelligence —Leveraging high levels of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management, capacity to manage behavior, navigate social complexities and make personal decisions to achieve positive results.
- Innovation – Generates innovative solutions in work situations; tries different/novel ways to deal with work problems/opportunities.
- Managing Complexity — Understanding and managing the complexity associated with integrating digital and e-Commerce touch points into a highly efficient physical retail business.
- Operational Excellence — Driving efficiency (both TTM and ROI) into GameStop’s product development efforts through strong communication with IT and strong demand management.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited program in Information Technology, Computer Science, Web Development or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience required
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the IT or software product development industry required
- At least 2 years of leadership experience within an Agile software development or QA environment required
- Previous experience with VersionOne or other Agile project management tools preferred
- Prior Agile process coaching/consulting experience with hands-on software development with object-oriented language preferred
- Experience in other Agile team roles such as Developer, Business Analyst, Agile Tester, or Product Owner preferred
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Expert knowledge of at least one Agile system including working knowledge with other methodologies
- Proficient ability to communicate effectively with others using written and spoken English including the ability to provide clear, constructive feedback to team members
- Proficient project planning skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize and control job responsibilities in order to meet deadlines in an environment with overlapping and potentially conflicting priorities
- Proficient understanding of velocity within an Agile/Scrum environment and how to effectively leverage such understanding effectively in order to maximize performance
- Proficient knowledge of estimation, budgeting, resource allocation, change management, risk management, escalation, and similar concepts
- Proficient ability to comprehend different roles/concerns within an Agile team and environment
- Ability to think strategically and incorporate a broader scope while executing daily tasks as needed
- Ability to effectively coach, develop, retain, train, hire, and discipline others in order to produce a successful team
- Possess proficient analytical, problem solving and decision making skills
- Working understanding of publishing concepts, such as content acquisition, content creation, editing, data conversion, and formatting
- Working knowledge of web technology, including HTML, XML, CSS and Web 2.0 concepts
- Demonstrated success in a leadership role including responsibility for delivering software development projects
- Proficient knowledge of modern development practices including Continuous Integration principles, Agile/Scrum development, Test Driven Development, etc
- Proficient knowledge of risk management techniques and ability to develop appropriate contingency plans
- Working knowledge of open source software, such as ICE and Lucene and leading Java-based projects preferred
- Consistently demonstrates a commitment to GameStop policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest, and ethical responsibilities
GameStop Texas Ltd. - 17 months ago