Oxfam America is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic Aid Effectiveness intern to work closely with its Aid Effectiveness Team in Washington, DC with hours/date negotiable.
This position will support campaigning, research and advocacy efforts for Oxfam's work related to aid effectiveness. The intern will provide administrative support for the various projects undertaken by the Aid Effectiveness team. The Aid Effectiveness Intern will be expected primarily to assist with administrative work in support of the team.
The Aid Effectiveness intern will have the opportunity to gain practical organizing skills, learn about development issues, and get an inside understanding of campaigning and advocacy from inside an international development agency.
The internship offers a friendly work environment with several fellow interns and supportive staff with whom to share knowledge, career advice and workplace mentoring.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Supporting administrative work, including data input, filing and paperwork;
- Coordinating logistics, particularly for events;
- Packing and shipping materials;
- Attending panel discussions, hearing ad events and providing notes;
- Research and writing related to development effectiveness;
- Tracking information and maintaining the Aid Effectiveness Team's calendar of events.
- Works effectively and collaboratively in support of building team-based culture of work;
- Performs all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect; becomes familiar with and commited to Oxfam America's Mission and goals.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- High School Diploma
- Should have or be pursuing an undergraduate degree or higher, or have comparable work experience
- Excellent organizational and adminstrative skills; ability to prioritize workload and multi-task
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated interest in foreign policy and/or foreign affairs
- Team Player; eager to take on challenges and work as part of a team
- Secondary langauge skills
- Experience in a non-profit setting
Oxfam America is an international relief and development organization that creates lasting solutions to poverty, hunger and injustice. Together with individuals and local groups in more than 90 countries. Oxfam saves lives, helps people overcome poverty, and fights for social justice. We are one of the 14 affiliates in the international confederation, Oxfam.
- 35 hours/week for one year; hours/date negotiable
Our Vision : A just world without poverty Our Mission: To create lasting solutions to poverty, hunger and social injustice.