Analyst, Online Communities and Digital Ethnography
Los Angeles, CA or New York, NY
Kelton is a rapidly growing boutique insights firm with a leadership team made up of seasoned research, communications, marketing, and innovation/design professionals; there is ample opportunity to learn and teach in this environment. We are proud of having an entrepreneurial, start-up culture where training is very “hands on” and there’s an atmosphere in which teams are tight and colleagues really help each other.
We serve as a strategic research partner to a broad array of cross-industry clients including Pfizer, Target, Bloomingdale’s, Dominos, and 8 of the 10 largest PR firms in the country. Our goal is to create a team that can use research to solve for virtually any strategic business objective. Clients rely on us for our ability to turn insights into compelling stories about customers.
We are looking for an analyst who is naturally curious and has a passion for understanding human behavior. A high level of motivation and excellent communication skills are required to manage an incredibly diverse workload for some of the nation's best-known brands in various industries. Flexibility to work on multiple projects, a natural aptitude for organization, and deadline-driven deliverable creation are equally important in this fast-paced environment, as is the ability to handle the workload and stress implicit in our business. The ideal candidate is a motivated, recent graduate with moderate to significant understanding of social online platforms, a college degree, and related internship experience. The opportunity is based in either Kelton's Los Angeles or New York office.
- Create, develop, and maintain various online research communities
- Post questions, read participant posts, record activity, and help prepare reports
- Moderate online focus groups and direct interaction with participants
- Monitor trends and social chatter online through Facebook, Twitter, Google Insight, Blogs, Social Mention, as well as tools like Sysomos
- Drive development of new methodologies and social applications
- Rescreen research participants to ensure quality control
- Assist on final reports which could include; writing, analysis, data entry, chart/table creation in Excel or PowerPoint
- Write screeners and assist with discussion guide and methodological aproaches
- Detailed note-taking on client calls, during focus groups, and during interview sessions
- As s/he grows in the position, candidate can look forward to more client contact, an increased role in business development and proposal writing/methodology creation, and a leading role in managing a project start to finish
- Role may require occasional travel, which could increase with responsibilities
- Merge data
- Moderate to significant understanding of social online platforms like Ning, Wordpress, Blogspot, Tumblr, Twitter, Vimeo, uStream.tv, Flickr, and Facebook
- Exposure to qualitative field (and ideally online) research experience is a plus. Candidates will need to quickly develop a strong understanding of the mechanics of qualitative project management, including vendor relationships, scheduling and planning, screener development, facility interaction, recruitment monitoring, etc.
- Strong writing skills (will be writing first drafts of moderator's guides and stimuli)
- Technical proficiency using, but not necessarily developing, key social media tools (the ideal candidate has a breadth and depth to his/her knowledge base)
- Experience interacting directly with clients, even on a limited basis--examples needed
- Examples of theme creation and research synthesis is a huge plus
- Excellent PowerPoint skills and ability to create slides/graphs/charts that convey key research findings in compelling ways
- Attention to detail and strong organizational/logistics skills
- Excellent writing/communication skills
- Works well both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to take a big picture idea and run with it
- Personal accountability and strong work ethic
- Professional, able to interact with vendors/clients
- Positive, "can do," attitude, willingness to work long hours when needed
- PC/Mac savvy
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro a plus
- Bachelor's degree required
- Internship experience in research/consulting environment a plus
You must be brave, dynamic, curious and seasoned enough to operate independently. You must be willing and be able to handle multiple projects at the same time. This is a "no drama, no diva," informal but extremely hard working environment where teams are tight and really help each other. Kelton offers full benefits, including medical, dental, vision and 401(k).
To be considered for this position, please send your WORD or PDF resume and cover letter via email to
with “Analyst, Online Communities” in the subject line.