Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Provide assistance to potential adopters visiting the Adoption Center, provide support by counseling and facilitating visitation between customers and animals. Process adoptions and receive payments from patrons. Care for and clean animals housed at the Adoption Center; answer questions regarding City ordinances and regulations; perform a variety of tasks relative to the assigned area of responsibility; provide excellent animal care and customer service in accordance with the Animal Care Center’s mission, goals and management philosophy.
This is a safety sensitive position subject to random drug/alcohol testing.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements:
Related education may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
High school diploma or GED, plus two (2) years experience in retail sales or customer service to include six (6) months experience in animal welfare or related field.
Possession of a New Mexico Driver's License (Class D), or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator's Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
Possession of a valid City of Albuquerque Cash Handling Certificate within six (6) months from date of hire.
Must be able to work weekends, nights and holidays.
- Principles and practices of retail business setting
- Principles and practices of animal welfare, handling, care and treatment
- Customer relations techniques
- Principles and procedures of cash handling, financial record keeping and posting
- A variety of animal species, breeds and related behavioral and health characteristics
- Computer literate in a Windows environment
- Occupational hazards and standard animal safety practices
- Pertinent Federal, State and local codes, laws and regulations
Preferred Skills & Abilities:
- Utilize effective problem solving/decision making skills
- Provide a wide variety of assistance and information to customers
- Resolve customer problems and inquiries
- Effectively deal with a variety of stressful situations and conditions (animal and human)
- Compassionately interact with animals in ways to minimize their stress
- Operate a computer efficiently using computer programs and learn and operate facility-computerized programs, (i.e. Chameleon, etc.)
- Correctly use and apply a variety of animal handling skills
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
City of Albuquerque - 11 months ago