The Denver Animal Shelter is seeking an Animal Care Supervisor to supervise the work of Animal Care Attendants and Veterinary Assistants, monitor the care of animals, ensure a high level of animal care, and maintain a safe and clean shelter.
Supervises Animal Care Attendants and Veterinary Assistants, ensures quality animal care is provided at all times, provides guidance to staff on situations that requires immediate problem resolutions, and maintains a safe and clean work environment for animals and employees..
Provides day to day leadership and works with staff to ensure a high-performance work environment and recommends process improvements and changes in practices and procedures to increase operating efficiency and expedite work flow.
Plans, assigns, and evaluates the work of animal care staff members, provides technical expertise to staff, and establishes unit and staff work goals and objectives.
Trains new staff members on animal care protocols and procedures, orients staff with appropriate policies and procedures, and ensures that work conforms to standards and regulations.
Establishes and distributes work schedules to staff members.
Provides and ensures humane care and handling of animals, monitors the feeding of animals, updates animal records, observes and notes any signs of illness or behavioral problems, and notifies veterinary staff of any issues.
Maintains adequate supplies and inventory and ensures that food supplies, cleaning supplies, and other necessary items are significantly stocked.
Performs euthanasia, serves as a back up when needed, and monitors and records amounts of controlled substance used in compliance with DEA regulations, State Health Department requirements, and shelter protocol.
Implements safety standards and develops procedures to ensure compliance.
Develops or modifies work plans, methods, and procedures and determines work priorities.
Assigns and distributes work, reviews work for accuracy and completeness, and returns assignments with recommendations for proper completion.
Resolves problems encountered during daily operations and determines standards for problem resolution including escalations from clients.
Develops the performance enhancement plan, documents performance, provides performance feedback, and formally evaluates the work of employees.
Responds to formal and informal employee grievances and prepares written response.
Documents causes for disciplinary action and initiates letters of reprimand and formal recommendations for disciplinary action.
Provides work instruction and assists employees with difficult and/or unusual assignments.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree in Animal Science or a closely related field.
- Two (2) years of experience at the type and level of Animal Care Attendant or Veterinary Assistant.
- Animal Care Attendants perform caretaking work for animals.
- Veterinary Assistants perform standard health monitoring and medical care of animals.
Licensure and/or Certification:
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for one year of the minimum experience requirement.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license at the time of application and as a condition of continued employment.
The City and County of Denver values leadership that influences the commitment, ability and willingness of employees to provide quality service to the citizens of Denver.
Classification Title: Animal Care Attendant Supervisor
Pay Grade: 801-O
Agency : Department of Environmental Health
Testing: Supervisor of Support Test
To Apply : Select the apply button at the top of this posting or visit: www.denvergov.org/jobs
Testing : Supplemental questions Background Check/Drug Testing: Candidates must pass a criminal background check, 10 year employment verification and education verification. Additional checks such as credit and drug testing may be required.
Recruiter : LM
We offer a competitive benefits package including:
For more information on our benefits, please click here .
- Medical, Dental & Vision Plans (multiple programs)
- Paid Time Off (combined vacation/sick leave)
- Paid Holidays
- Retirement (Pension Plan & 457 Deferred Comp Plan)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Parking, Dependant Care)
- RTD Pass Discounts
- Life Insurance; Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Domestic Partner Programs
- Wellness Center & Programs (vary by location)
- Education & Training Classes (vary by location)
No relocation assistance is available.
The formal job description is listed under Job Specifications on our website: www.denvergov.org/jobs