DEFINITION: Under the direction of a veterinarian, assist in the provision of basic care for animals in the shelter through direct assistance with examinations and documentation of medical findings and treatments. Facilitates accurate and timely data entry, including photographic documentation as needed. Restrains and otherwise assists veterinarians and veterinary technicians and assistants with examinations. Bathes and grooms animals, provides basic husbandry and direct assistance as otherwise directed. Ensures basic maintenance tasks are performed in a timely fashion to ensure the smooth functioning of the department.
This position is based within the medical department at a specific AC&C location but flexibility to work at other locations may occasionally be required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handle and restrain animals
- Assist in feeding and other basic husbandry care of animals
- Clean medical areas, kennels and cages as needed
- Maintain handling and restraint equipment
- Accurately document medical exam findings, vaccinations, and treatments in Chameleon medical records
- Medicate animals orally and/or topically
- Assist in stocking and maintenance of adequate inventory
- Assist with humane euthanasia
- Facilitate transfer of animals from intake areas through medical and into appropriate housing
- Work cooperatively with AC&C volunteers and partners
- Other duties as assigned by the medical supervisor or veterinarian
REPORTS TO: Medical supervisor
- The employee will regularly be exposed to the following: potentially zoonotic diseases (including rabies), aggressive animals, loud noises (e.g. barking dogs), odors and airborne particles, including animal fur and toxic chemicals. The noise level in the environment is very loud. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Examination, restraint, and treatment of a high number of animals is physically and emotionally demanding. Euthanasia is performed in the facility and assisting with euthanasia is a specific job task for this position.
OVERTIME: This position is eligible for overtime.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum 6 months previous experience working with animals in a veterinary or shelter setting
- High school diploma or GED. Some college preferred but not required
- Good written and oral communication skills and basic computer skills, including a basic understanding of medical terminology
- Dependable, reliable, and efficient
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds and stand for prolonged periods of time
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.