Under general supervision, enforces leash laws and regulations pertaining to animal control.
Examples of Duties:
• Answers complaints and requests for service concerning a variety of animal control problems;
• Patrols the city in search of animals in violation of animal control ordinances;
• Picks up and transports animals in violation to the City's animal shelter;
• Loads and unloads animals at the animal shelter;
• Picks up dead animals in the city and disposes of them as required by law;
• Assists in disposal of animals as required by law;
• Prepares animal control activity reports and related incident reports ;
• Issues citations and testifies in court as needed;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or GED; and
• Six months experience in the care and handling of animals; or
• An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of (or ability to learn quickly):
• City ordinances and regulations relating to animal control;
• the geography and layout of the City.
• operating assigned equipment.
• handle large and/or vicious animals;
• learn animal behavior and common diseases of animals;
• meet and deal tactfully with the public;
• communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
• prepare reports;
• work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the outdoor elements;
• establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
Valid North Carolina driver's license and acceptable driving record.
City of Greenville, NC - 12 months ago