Fulltime, regular non-exempt position.
Responsible to perform routine enforcement work in the control, care, custody and disposal of strays and/or wild animals and insure compliance with City ordinances pertaining to animal control.
Requires competing demands such as strict deadlines, multiple tasks and occasional work beyond normal business hours.
FIRST CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO QUALIFIED, CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to resident complaints regarding animals.
- Picks up dead or injured animals, including cats, dogs and other animals.
- Visits homes to inspect licenses, vaccination certificates, and sick animals.
- Institutes quarantines in bite cases.
- Investigates complaints concerning the treatment of animals or noncompliance with animal control ordinances.
- Prepares cases and appears in court in legal action to represent the City.
- Maintains records and prepares various special and reoccurring reports on enforcement activities.
- May be required to destroy animals in the field.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
Equivalent to a high school diploma plus one (1) year in animal control or animal handling experience. A combination of experience, education and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Licenses/Certification(s): Valid driver’s license. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Some knowledge of City and county ordinances, state statutes, and state health regulations concerning animal control; care and feeding of domestic animals; animal diseases and prevention.
Skills in handling domestic and wild animals; operating a personal computer with installed generic and specialized office productivity software; conflict resolution.
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions; develop and maintain courteous, respectful, and effective working relationships with fellow employees and the public; set work priorities; maintain accurate records; write clear and accurate reports; use a capture stick, a variety of animal traps, nets, euthinair machine, and tranquilizer gun.
City of Las Cruces, NM - 10 months ago