Under direct supervision of the Support Services Manager, performs routine animal control duties as well as some clerical duties including answering phones, filing, issuing licenses, collecting fines and educating the public.
Examples of Duties:
1. Patrols streets, field citizen complaints, chase and capture animals. Manage wildlife problems, remove deceased animals from the roadways, and write citations when violations have occurred. Appear in court on behalf of the city.
2. Promotes a positive image in performing community-policing duties (community meetings, health issues, problem solving resources, etc.)
3. Provides effective control and coordination of resources and activities within the unit to which assigned.
4. Routinely performs inspections of operational and administrative functions of the Animal Control Unit and makes recommendations for change to enhance services to the community.
5. Responsible for the daily, on-going and as need basis cleaning of all animal habitats.
6. Work with animal resources and promote animal adoptions via the various services such as PetFinder.
7. Responsible for conducting animal adoption interviews, paperwork and follow-ups.
8. Investigate animal bites, and follow quarantine procedures. Investigate Cruelty to Animals & vicious animal complaints. Maintain case records such as statements from complainants or witnesses, photographs, and assist Police and Fire when needed.
9. Transports animals to veterinarian facilities.
10. Responsible for lab work, vaccinating animals, running heartworm/parvo tests, prepare and ship rabies specimens, and euthanizing animals.
11. Responsible for greeting customer, answering the phone, responding to emails, basic filing and computer skills, and operating various types of office equipment.
12. Transport animals to veterinarian facilities.
13. Coordinates activities with peers, other departmental personnel and city employees to ensure consistency in interpretation and implementation of Administrative Orders, City Ordinances, policies, procedures and laws.
14. Researches current best practices, enforcement measures and techniques for developing lesson plans and providing training to a variety of audiences.
15. Performs all physical duties of an Animal Control Officer as required. Adheres to personnel, safety and departmental policies, procedures, Administrative Orders and State Law.
16. Informs supervisor of all work activities.
17. Responsible for the general care of animals, e.g., feeding, cleaning, walking, grooming, and whatever else deemed necessary for the general welfare of animals within the animal shelter.
18. Available to work a shift that may include weekends, holidays, and on call.
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
Must have a general working knowledge of computer operations (data entry) and general office procedures. Must have excellent English communicative skills, both oral and written, to include spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Must be skilled in the operation of personal computer operations to include Microsoft Word. A High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required. A minimum of one year of experience in animal control functions and current Animal Control Officer certification obtained through the Texas Department of State Health Services required. Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
May be required to move various boxed documents or pick up animals of various weights (up to 150 pounds), but may have use of a dolly for assistance. To perform essential functions of the job, must be able to: type; understand and carry out oral and written directives; work well under pressure and stress; handle multiple tasks; prioritize and organize work assignments, work in adverse environmental conditions to include fumes; dust/mist, noxious odors, chemical, solid waste substances, animal feces, urine, saliva, and the sight of blood; see, talk, hear, read, write; kneel, sit for long periods, squat, bend, stand, stoop; maintain a pleasant and friendly demeanor at all times.
City of Murphy - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard