Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Humanely receive, inspect, feed, clean and care for animals housed at the City kennel and/or animal control center; prepare and handle animals for impoundment; assist the general public and rescue groups in viewing and selecting adoptable animals; answer questions regarding City ordinances and regulations; assist in the safe and humane handling of the animal during euthanasia procedure and perform a variety of tasks relative to the assigned area of responsibility.
This is a safety sensitive position subject to random drug/alcohol testing.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements:
Related education may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
WorkKeys Assessment Scores: Reading for Information with a minimum score of Level 4; Locating Information with a minimum score of Level 4 and Workplace Observation with a minimum score of Level 2 plus one (1) year of animal control or animal handling experience. To learn more about WorkKeys Assessments and to schedule an appointment to take the required WorkKeys assessments, please visit http://www.cabq.gov/humanresources/workforce-development/workkeys-skills-assessments/skills-assessments/.
Possession of a New Mexico Driver's License (Class D), or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator's Permit (COP) within 6 months from date of hire.
- Principles and practices of humane animal handling, care and treatment
- A variety of animal species, breeds and related behavioral and health characteristics
- Operational characteristics of kennel equipment and tools
- Modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers
- Occupational hazards and standard kennel safety practices
- Pertinent Federal, State and local codes, laws and regulations
Preferred Skills & Abilities:
- Correctly and humanely use and apply a variety of animal handling skills
- Operate animal control tools and equipment in a humane, safe and effective manner
- Operate a variety of motor vehicles in a safe and effective manner
- Assist in humanely restraining animals for various procedures
- Compassionately interact with animals in ways to minimize stress and enhance environment
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public accurately, promptly and courteously
City of Albuquerque - 4 months ago