THIS IS A TIME-LIMITED POSITION THROUGH 03/31/15 AND CONTIGENT UPON FUNDING RENEWAL
The NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services provide services that promote and improve agriculture, agribusiness and forests, protect consumer and businesses; and conserve farmland and natural resources for the prosperity of all North Carolinians. The Department employs approximately 2000 employees.
Animal Heath Technician will be field testing both commercial and non commercial flocks at various venues as part of the ongoing disease surveillance activities of the NCDA&CS. Duties include but not limited to blood testing or sampling of poultry flocks for disease control , serology, and virology testing; monitoring and controlling disease outbreaks; and the administration of regulations for the improvement of poultry health in NC. The AHT may be involved in routine surveillance of flocks as part of their participation in the NPIP program. Additional duties include evaluating Biosecurity practices of the various venues at which the AHT works, and providing Biosecurity education to the flock owner as needed. Emergency response to disease outbreaks and natural disasters is part of the work required as well. This will include preparation for and training of industry partners in emergency depopulation of flocks.
Work territory includes Duplin, Greene Lenoir and Wayne Counties. Employee must reside in one of the counties listed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies:
Prefer applicant with at least three years experience in poultry production.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of poultry management.
- Ability to comprehend, explain and apply regulations.
- Ability to instruct flock owners and others in the techniques of proper poultry management and Biosecurity.
- Ability to obtain blood and swab samples and read test taken from poultry.
- Ability to identify illness in birds and to recommend appropriate actions.
- Ability to prepare written reports and enter data into a computer –working knowledge Microsoft Office email, work documents, and Excel documents is required.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with plant and hatchery management and employees , flock owners and other technicians.
- Ability to work independently, and also to take direction.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from high school and three years of experience in the production, management or sale of poultry; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Supplemental and Contact Information:
Any employment offer may be less than the maximum of the range due to salary equity with similarly situated employees or the selected candidate's related education and experience.
Please follow instructions to apply on-line. It is important that your application includes all of your relevant education and experience. Text or attached resumes ARE NOT accepted as a substitution for a completed application. Those applicants seeking veteran's preference should submit a copy of their Form DD-214.
All positions requiring a Pilot’s License or a Commercial Drivers License shall be subject to pre-employment drug testing. All positions requiring a Commercial Drivers License shall also be subject to pre-employment DMV physicals.
**Note: When required, you must answer the question(s) for this position or your application will be considered incomplete.**
Questions regarding this posting? Contact Veronica Jamison at 919-707-3201.
North Carolina Office of State Human Resources - 6 months ago
copy to clipboard