Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Enforce City ordinances pertaining to the care, treatment, impound, handling and quarantine of wild and domestic animals; investigate reports of animal cruelty, abandonment and nuisances and perform a variety of tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
This is a safety sensitive position subject to random drug/alcohol testing.
Minimum Education, Experience And Additional Requirements:
Related education may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
High school diploma or GED, plus two (2) years of animal handling and/or security and/or law enforcement experience.
Possession of a New Mexico Driver's License (Class D), or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
Possession of a City Operator's Permit (COP) within six (6) months from date of hire.
- A variety of animal species, breeds and related behavioral and health characteristics
- Basic principles and practices of animal control and abatement
- Basic principles, practices and techniques of animal first aid
- Pertinent Federal, State and local codes, laws and regulations
- Communications equipment, radios, computers and procedures
- Principles and procedures of record keeping
Preferred Skills & Abilities:
- Perform a variety of animal handling duties and functions
- Interpret and enforce pertinent city ordinances
- Learn pertinent Federal, State laws, codes, ordinances and regulations pertaining to animal control
- Learn to utilize a variety of animal control capture equipment in a safe and humane manner
- Learn to conduct inspections of private agencies and establishments for compliance
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
City of Albuquerque - 4 months ago
copy to clipboard