Daemen College in Buffalo, NY seeks a full-time, tenure track Professor for its International Center for Excellence in Animation (ICEA) within the Department of Visual and Performing Arts. Anticipated appointment date is August, 2013.
The Department is committed to providing students with a comprehensive program that promotes artistic development and imparts the professional skills necessary to succeed in a visual arts career. To this end, Daemen has established the ICEA as a center for creative growth, artistic production, and practicum learning.
The successful candidate for the tenure track position will be an accomplished artist and animator with demonstrated artistic achievement in both Classical 2-D Animation and/or 3D Animation. He or she must demonstrate a strong vision for cultivating a dynamic and challenging environment that will inspire and push students to reach their full creative potential.
The Academic Professor will act as principal administrator for the academic side of the ICEA. Responsibilities will include:
• Engagement in the day-to-day operations of the Program and trouble-shooting challenges with students, parents, staff and faculty, as necessary
• Active participation in the development and implementation of strategic plans for the ICEA
• Developing, implementing and managing strategies for maintaining academic excellence
• Participation in the administrative duties of the center
• Advising students toward successful program completion
• Classroom Instruction
• Actively promote and represent the Program within the larger national and international community as a leader in the development of new animation talent
The ideal candidate will be a proven innovator who is passionate about art and animation, and has the ambition and leadership to grow the International Center of Excellence in Animation at Daemen College to a program of National prominence.
• Qualified candidates will have an MFA, or equivalent, in animation or a closely related discipline.
• A strong portfolio that reflects a high degree of knowledge in Classical 2-D Animation and figure drawing is required. The successful candidate will have excellent drawing skills and embody drawing as the key element in 2D or 3D animation.
• Proficiency in 2D concepts (principles of animation, character ideation, storyboarding, etc.), and/or well as 3D concepts (modeling, character animation, lighting, camera and texturing).
• Ability to teach foundation courses is highly desirable. Preference will be given to candidates with college-level teaching experience, proven leadership skills and ability to work with students of diverse backgrounds.
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, Toonboom, Maya, and compositing applications.
• Master's degree with a minimum of 3-5 year's related experience. Advanced certifications or credits towards further study are highly preferred.
• Previously held positions within the industry and/or Academic Affairs.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills,
• Superior organization, prioritization, and self-motivation skills.
• Strong computer literacy skills with the Microsoft Office Suite.
Application Materials including the following should be sent to
• Portfolio of professional work
• Portfolio of student work
• 3 letters of recommendation
Review of applicants begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
InsideHigherEd.com - 17 months ago