Onondaga Community College Housing Development Corporation is accepting applications for an anticipated Residence Hall Director ( RHD ) position for the 2013-2014 academic year.
RHDs are responsible for the administration of one of the four residence halls at Onondaga Community College. Supervisory, operational, programmatic, and judicial responsibilities are included. This is a full-time, 12-month live-in position commencing on Aug 1, 2012 (with possibility of an earlier start date). RHDs are a member of the Division of College-Affiliated Enterprises and Asset Management is employed by the Onondaga Community College Housing Development Corporation and reports directly to the Assistant Director of Residence Life.
• Develop and maintain residence hall communities that promote a positive living/learning environment in accordance with the mission, vision and goals of the Office of Residence Life.
• Assist with recruitment, selection, and training of entire Resident Assistant (RA) staff.
• Directly supervise a staff consisting of four to six RAs. This includes weekly staff meetings and individual sessions.
• Be accessible and visible throughout the residence hall. RHD offices are located within the halls and RHDs are expected to work a portion of their hours in the evening.
• Serve as a judicial officer. This entails policy enforcement and administering the judicial process in accordance with established policies and procedures. This also includes participation on the OCC Student Disciplinary Committee.
• Serve as a liaison with facilities and maintenance personnel to maintain the physical condition of the residence halls.
• Encourage and support a truly multicultural environment within the residence halls through community building and programmatic efforts.
• Implement programming to assist with the academic, emotional, personal, and social development of the residential students, as well as the greater college community. This includes RHDs planning and implementing programs, advising RAs in their programming efforts, and maintaining accurate programming records.
• Provide immediate response as appropriate and/or promptly refer residents to appropriate campus resources in the areas of conflict resolution, academic issues, personal, and/or disciplinary problems
• Serve on a rotating basis as the RHD on duty responsible for responding to any incident or emergency situation within any of the residence halls.
• Ensure the proper opening and closing of the residence halls at specified breaks and at the start and end of each semester.
• Develop a Duty Schedule with building RAs.
• Assist with supervision of the Night Clerks.
• Oversee the development of the Residence Life programming plan and assist staff by tracking resources, attendance, and feedback.
• Support the planning and implementation of major campus-wide and inter-hall programs and activities through active participation.
• Represent Residence Life on various committees and/or task forces.
• Advise the Hall Council.
• Supervise the documentation of and follow through on the condition of student rooms using room condition reports, mid-year check-outs, and mid-year inspection forms
• Maintain accurate records of all residence hall keys and facilitate key distribution
• Other duties as assigned
Master’s Degree in college student personnel, counseling, higher education or related field and/or previous RHD experience is preferred. A Bachelor’s Degree and previous residence life experience is required. Other necessary qualifications include: strong organizational skills, administrative and communication skills, professional leadership skills, decision-making abilities and competency with standard office software. Ability to effectively establish relationships and communicate with a diverse student population is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Special Instructions to Applicants