This position is responsible for the interpretation of customer specifications, drawings, and power system requirements as they apply to Medium Voltage switchgear and/or Medium Voltage Motor Control Centers. Issues concise instructions via engineering systems to electrical/mechanical design and materials. Develops electrical bill of material, elevation views, layout views, control schematics an elementary drawings for customer specified equipment. Interfaces with field sales, customers, development, manufacturing, order services and materials during order cycle process. This position within the Order Engineering team in Smyrna, Tennessee, will be responsible for support of U.S. custom-designed medium voltage switchgear and control gear products that are manufactured in multiple countries around the world including the U.S., Canada and Mexico, and are supplied to customers all over the world.
Other Requirements and Skills:
- Confers with engineers and others in the for design concept interpretation.
- Exercises judgments within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criterion for obtaining results.
- Detailed knowledge of principles of electrical engineering so able to assess feasibility of design options.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of industrial standards, quality and safety requirements.
- Understand the importance and impact of patents.
- Creates detailed design of layout, elevation views and product packaging using the relevant CAD design and data management software.
- Creating and maintaining standard procedures and methodology for working on the relevant CAD software.
- Specification of materials and hardware required to meet the design specification.
- Ensures assignments are within design, budget and schedule limitations.
- Assists vendor selection process for electrical parts
- Reviews the list of materials proposed on each project, insuring the accuracy and correct application of each item. If a problem is identified, corrections or substitutions will be made to the design and will be communicated to the Project Manager in writing.
- Communicates project concerns and suggestions, both verbally and in writing, with the Project Manager and Engineering Manager. Email is the method for written form and tracking.
- Participates as needed in proposal acceptance reviews, offering acceptance or recommendations for improvement on the systems engineering scope of work and labor hours estimated on the proposed project.
- Ensures that products meet all manufacturing requirements for reliable and cost-effective production.
- Meets electrical design specifications to meet overall product specifications and participates in design reviews.
- Compiles and enters BOM's and creates related design documentation. Ensures accuracy of BOM's and product assembly documentation
- Liaisons with the manufacturing team (including customers) to build equipment to meet or exceed customers expectations
- Serves as a technical expert and leader in problem resolution supporting Manufacturing Operations.
- Generates and maintains organized database and/or B.O.M., change reports and/or other documentation.
- Application Engineer is expected to provide the highest degree of professionalism with minimal errors.
- BSEE or equivalent with 1-3 years experience in the manufacture or design of power distribution equipment. This position is an entry level position recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Prefer EIT or ability to obtain PE within a reasonable period.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer relation skills. Inter-personal skills are also essential in order to maintain the strong team atmosphere that currently exists within our group.
- Excellent problem resolution skills.
- Ability to interpret basic front elevation, one-line, and schematic drawings.
- Must be well organized, strong computer skills with AutoCAD, MS Office, Visio, Adobe, Microsoft Office suite, Power point, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- A good work ethic, along with high energy and a positive attitude, high degree of self organization.
- Strong approach to team work working as individual contributor or in a team environment in collaboration with various groups.
- Excellent time management and time tracking is required to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a flexible and changing/demanding environment.
- Ability to program and troubleshoot PLCs (auto-throwover schemes).
- Experience using AutoCAD.
- Familiarity with protection relays and relay auto-throwover schemes.
- Experience with Modbus communications, utility metering, and circuit monitoring applications.
- Experience working with field sales, consulting engineers, distributors, and installation contractors.
- Excellent ability to troubleshoot electrical control, ground fault, and zone interlocking schemes.
- Experience working in an manufacturing environment
If you're hungry for power, this company can help. Schneider Electric is a leading global manufacturer of equipment for electrical...