Responsible for the design, development, customization and support of custom software used by various City departments. Also, responsible for acting as a consultant to departments concerning vendor software evaluation, acquisition, maintenance and support.
Essential Job Functions
Determine process flows from activity initiation through resolution.
Determine optimum platform, connectivity, database choices and process flow transitions from business rules and validation/parameters to logic for machine codes.
Design, develop and implement applications using various development software.
Provide custom software maintenance and support by creating updates, changes and fixes.
Organize and/or attend software development meetings with customers to determine software needs.
Consult and provide technical advice on other projects concerning vendor software evaluation and acquisition.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in MIS, Computer Science or a related field of study
- 5-7 years experience in application development specifically with Visual Basic and/or .NET
- 5-7 years experience working with relational databases such as SQL Server and/or ORACLE
- Knowledge of company programming processes, procedures and programming languages
- Knowledge of computer flow charts and of programming logic and codes
- Comprehensive knowledge of client/server and or Web application delivery, support issues and processes
- Comprehensive knowledge of application design, Web design, server/desktop hardware, software and operations
- Comprehensive knowledge of IT technical infrastructure components
- Skill utilizing Microsoft Office applications including MOSS and CRM, also using Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Skill in interpreting technical diagrams and procedures
- Ability to implement and troubleshoot programming changes and modifications.
- Ability to write technical instructions in the use of programs and/or program modifications
- Excellent ability to work with environments including VB and .NET
Licenses & Certifications
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
Four-year college degree
5 years related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.