The University of Michigan Library in Ann Arbor is one of the largest university library systems in the United States. In locations all over the Ann Arbor campus, MLibrary holds more than 8.5 million volumes. Each year, the University Library adds the equivalent of 2.5 miles of new material to one of the finest and most comprehensive collections of any academic library in the world. Our seminal role in digitization enabled the creation of HathiTrust, a coalition of nearly 70 libraries with a growing digital collection that currently exceeds 10 million volumes.
Publishing Technology, the IT unit within Michigan Publishing, seeks an Application Programmer to design and develop a variety of software systems in support of digital scholarly publishing. This position will work in a team to create new applications for web delivery of content, and office productivity tools to enhance production workflow, as well as maintaining and improving existing systems.
This is a full-time, TWO YEAR, TERM-LIMITED position with the possibility for renewal.
Michigan Publishing is the primary academic publishing enterprise of the University of Michigan and part of its dynamic and innovative university library. Publishing Technology is responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of digital delivery systems and management tools which place Michigan Publishing on the cutting edge of digital scholarly communication. Our work includes:
- University of Michigan Press (press.umich.edu)
- mPach (hathitrust.org/mpach)
- Digital Culture Books (digitalculture.org)
- The Pancreapedia (pancreapedia.org)
- The Journal of Electronic Publishing (journalofelectronicpublishing.org)
- More at publishing.umich.edu
-Software analysis and design. Meeting with stakeholders and other developers for requirements gathering. Modeling business logic and workflows. Researching and proposing tools/libraries that match requirements and environment.
-Software development and maintenance
-Writing documentation for code, software environments, workflows and etc.
-Research technology tools, trends and best practices.
- Bachelors degree and 3 or more years experience in designing, developing, coding and maintaining data-driven applications or equivalent amount of related education and experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of current web standards as recommended by W3C including accessibility standards and cross browser issues;
- Experience using Linux, MVC frameworks, Object Oriented Programming, version control workflows, test-driven development, and XML;
- Demonstrated ability to design effective UI/UX using HTML5 and CSS3.
- Commitment to writing clean, documented code
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to discuss why we develop what we develop.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, JRuby, Git, MySQL, JQuery, XSLT, Perl, PHP, RESTful APIs.
- Experience working in the publishing, library, or other information industries.
- Experience as a project manager.
Questions about this job description may be emailed to Jeremy Morse, Director of Publishing Technology at email@example.com.
The mission of the University Library is to support, enhance, and collaborate in the instructional, research, and service activities of the faculty, students, and staff, and contribute to the common good by collecting, organizing, preserving, communicating, and sharing the record of human knowledge. This mission is accomplished through the provision of the various collections and programs available to patrons of the library system.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
University of Michigan - 9 months ago