Responsible for administering, implementing, documenting, testing, managing and enhancing selected enterprise applications; Analyze and assess new or proposed applications, working to ensure that the University is fully leveraging applications and associated processes; Work to implement robust and extensible integrations, provide a focus on process improvement, and provide expertise in application architectures; Work collaboratively to gather and analyze business requirements; Work to ensure robust and flexible reporting capabilities across a wide range of applications.
Reporting to the Director of Digital Infrastructure, the Applications Administrator has many critical responsibilities. Those responsibilities include:
- Build and maintain comprehensive architectural blueprints for administrative applications.
- Think in a systematic manner, integrating business process, technology and strategy.
- Work, in collaboration with colleagues, to guide the evolution and development of enterprise applications, data integrations, and integrated service platforms.
- Provide detailed documentation for applications/enterprise systems; coordinate the transition of new applications into production, working with others to develop training, communication materials and operational technical staff in other IT areas as appropriate.
- Play a primary, collaborative role in the selection, implementation, development and operation of highly available applications and systems, to include associated integration with other administrative information systems and related technologies.
- Work with clients and stakeholders across the University to evaluate the performance of such systems against the strategic, tactical and transactional needs of the University.
- Specify architectural and technical requirements for administrative software applications that provide for effective integration with existing and future systems and technologies.
- Work closely with colleagues in IT to ensure robust integration of selected specialized application software systems with all other core ERP business systems
- Ensure the integration of newly implemented applications into a larger business continuity framework, providing input into how these applications play into broader business continuity strategies, and taking ownership of the continuity of operations for these applications.
- Provide second tier support for selected applications, taking ownership of a broad range of technical and procedural issues around these applications as they arise.
- Must be able to develop, implement, upgrade manage and maintain applications within the framework of a highly available 24x7 environment, mitigating the risk of unplanned service outages.
- Ensure that applications perform well, through performance monitoring and other means; Work to ensure that application architectures are scalable to meet increasing demand.
- Must understand and have experience with web services architectures and approaches and understand how that is enabled in an integrated approach to IT organization, architecture, and solutions.
- Work, in collaboration with colleagues in Digital Infrastructure and across IT, to align technology directions, investments and architecture with the University’s mission, strategic objectives and business operations.
- Candidates must have a broad understanding of business systems, business processes, and academic support technologies, preferably in a Higher Education environment.
- Candidates must have strong project management and organizational skills.
- Candidates must be self-motivated and self-directed, must be able to work independently and collaboratively, and must be able to receive and provide direction.
- Candidates must have strong administrative and analytical skills and must demonstrate an ability to evaluate business process in the context of a higher education setting.
- Candidates must possess strong oral and written communication skills, and must be able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Compelling candidates will have 3-5 years experience managing enterprise applications on both Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Windows Server (2003 and up) platforms.
- Compelling candidates will have experience with Java enterprise architectures/applications, managing Oracle databases in an application context, LAMP, and WebObjects.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree in a relevant field, or equivalent experience is strongly preferred.
- Successful completion of an employment and/or criminal history background check is required.