This position is accountable for mixing, hauling, spreading, and spraying liquid and dry fertilizer and farm chemicals in order to provide accurate and timely custom application to assigned customers. Depending on the location, the incumbent may be assigned to perform non farm applications. Secondarily, this position will perform various operational and general maintenance tasks relevant to the retail farm center, fertilizer, seed and Ag supply operations.
This position reports to the General Manager and may work varied shifts due to the seasonality of the work. When assigned to golf application, the incumbent may be required to spend successive days away from the home facility. Specific responsibilities of this position include:
1. Mix, haul, spread, and spray fertilizer and chemicals in an accurate and timely manner.
2. May be required to custom apply dry and liquid fertilizers to non farm applications in an accurate, timely, and professional manner.
3. Perform operations tasks associated with inbound/outbound shipments of fertilizer, seeds, chemicals, and farm supplies.
4. Operate all mobile equipment associated with the Retail Farm Center operations in a safe and efficient manner.
5. Read and interpret directional field mapping and develop a working understanding of Precision Ag program mapping.
6. Recognize various local field weeds, scouting for other pests as required by management.
7. Perform basic mechanical and electrical work on plant equipment to include periodic preventative maintenance.
8. Perform routine clean-up duties throughout the area.
9. Know and abide by all established safety rules and procedures.
10. Work in any area, including Central Soya operational areas, as needed.
11. Complete all paperwork, including applicator logs and field application forms, in an accurate and timely manner.
The incumbent has contact with customers and co-workers. Therefore, the incumbent must have good human relations skills as demonstrated by teamwork, cooperation, and a customer service approach at all times when interacting with people internal and external to the company. Due to the interaction with customers and other community members, a neat, clean, and professional appearance is required.
Instructions and assignments for specific duties may be given both verbally or in a written form. Typically when performing custom applications a fair amount of personal initiative will be required to identify problems/discrepancies with written/verbal instructions, and to refer questions or observations to more experienced personnel or the manager.
The incumbent may work with a team or independently as directed. Guidance and control in custom applications is also provided in the form of label specifications, operational procedures/standards, and specific customer orders. When assigned to perform non farm application, the incumbent must operate independently, exercising considerable personal judgment and initiative to complete all tasks efficiently and effectively.
This employee must be familiar with the operation of material handling equipment and have demonstrated mechanical aptitude. In order to haul, spread and spray fertilizers and chemicals, a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) and a Field Crops Operator's License is required. Some locations may require additional pesticide applicator's or operator's certification, including (but not limited to) Right of Way, Aquatics, Fruit, Vegetables and Turf. The employee must also know and demonstrate safe operational techniques in all facets of work.
The following accountabilities are to be carried out in a manner consistent with the spirit and philosophy outlined in The Andersons' Statement of Principles:
1. Personally and professionally operate custom application equipment and insure proper product, application rate, timing, and customer satisfaction.
2. Accurately mix chemicals for custom application and account for chemicals used as directed.
3. Effectively and efficiently operate all Retail Farm Center operational and application equipment.
4. Perform preventive, scheduled, and emergency maintenance duties on equipment as needed.
5. Arc weld at a basic level and cut with acetylene torch.
6. Collect soil samples as directed accurately interpreting field mapping directional information.
7. Maintain effective communications with the manager and fellow workers.
8. Know and abide by all established safety rules and procedures.
9. Contribute to department efficiency by identifying maintenance needs and making suggestions for improvements.
10. Assist in other areas, including non farm application if applicable, as designated by supervisor or as needed, to meet seasonal demands.
11. Assist in Central Soya operations as directed by the General Manager.
The Andersons, Inc. - 14 months ago
The Andersons, Inc.
The Andersons, Inc.
- 30+ days ago
Andersons, Inc. is an entrepreneurial company with diversified interests in the agriculture and transportation markets. The Company operates...