Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Real Estate, Public Administration or related field plus four (4) years experience in appraisal activities and completion of one hundred (100) hours of appraisal courses.
Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
Notes to Applicants
Employees of the Office of Real Estate are prohibited from ownership of a business related to real estate and from conducting work related to real estate as this presents a conflict of interest for employment with the City of Austin. Real estate includes but is not limited to sales, brokerage, appraisal, contracting, and all related activities.
A detailed, complete online City of Austin employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. A cover letter and resume must be submitted, but will not substitute for a complete online City of Austin employment application. Please verify that the employment history, dates, month, and year, on your resume exactly match the online employment application.
There will be an assessment administered to qualified applicants to aid in the candidate selection process.
$23.49 – $30.54 per hour
Monday-Friday; 8:00 – 5:00
Job Close Date
Departments may close a posting at their discretion
Open Until Filled
Type of Posting
Office of Real Estate
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
505 Barton Springs Rd., Suite 1350, Austin, TX, 78704
1) Experience with municipal or governmental processes.
2) Experience with Eminent Domain and condemnation proceedings.
3) Experience providing expert testimony regarding appraisals
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Performs detailed and comprehensive appraisal reports on city owned properties for disposition and acquisition by the City of Austin. Reviews and approves environmental consultant reports. Coordinates and monitors environmental investigations and testing for properties
Performs technical reviews and prepares detailed evaluations of consultant appraisal reports to identify compliance and approve appraisal reports which meet City of Austin standards.
Provides for selection of qualified independent appraisers and solicit and evaluate bids for consultant appraisal services.
Calculates fees for new license agreements and renewal of existing license agreements.
Evaluates counteroffers from property owners as part of the acquisition process.
Reviews and analyzes construction plans, zoning plans, appraisal district maps, site plans and development plans to determine affect on real property acquisition. Interprets project plans and make recommendations to property agents, project managers and management with regard to real estate issues. Interprets the impact of engineering reports, land plans, and environmental site assessments on the value of real estate.
Participates with other departments and agencies to determine if tracts are eligible for development prior to acquisition and appraisal.
Attends and testify at commissioner's hearings and jury trials as required in the condemnation process.
Attends meetings and makes presentations to neighborhood groups, boards, commissions, property owners, real estate brokers/agents, and project managers regarding the appraisal process.
Coordinates appraisal requests, environmental assessment requirements, land-planning activities, project manager requirements, title clearance and law department requirements. Researches appraisal district data ownership of property and easements, and sales data. Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide guidance to other staff members.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of real estate practices and/or property title clearing and conveyance.
- Knowledge of codes, laws, and regulations.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Knowledge of City ordinances, including City of Austin Parkland Use Agreement Schedule.
- Knowledge of construction plans, zoning maps, appraisal district maps, and site plans.
- Knowledge of the standards and professional practices of appraisers.
- Skills in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in writing and interpreting legal descriptions of leases, real estate, easements, and similar properties.
- Ability to research and interpret blanket type easements, judgments, boundary line agreements, and other documents.
- Ability to read and interpret field notes, engineering plans, and maps.
- Ability to resolve discrepancies.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all public dealings.
- Ability to develop and maintain current knowledge of Real Estate and Appraisal codes, laws and regulations.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees, different businesses and the public.
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
City of Austin - 11 months ago