The current position is located at General Services Agency, Department of Public Works, Bureau of Urban Forestry.
The Apprentice Gardener is a trainee classification which performs routine and basic duties to assist Gardeners in the care of athletic fields, squares, parks, playgrounds, stadiums, thoroughfares, medians and/or other landscaped areas. Under direct supervision, learns to perform care and maintenance of a variety of plants and landscaped areas, including planting, pruning and pest control; removes debris and litter; operates hand or power lawn mower; performs routine maintenance of tools and equipment; and performs related duties as required. Assigned duties increase in scope and difficulty as the Apprentice Gardener demonstrates skills in performing diverse duties that are learned through an on-the-job training rotation. Work is performed under direct supervision and is evaluated on the basis of progress in a structured work experience training program.
Demonstrated competence and successful completion of the structured training program leads to meeting the minimum qualifications for the promotional class of Gardener. Failure to achieve demonstrated competence and acceptable work habits or the inability to complete the training program within two (2) years results in loss of employment in the 3410 class. The appointing officer may provide an extension of time to complete the training program, however, appointments to this class cannot exceed 3 years.
Example of Important and Essential Duties:
1. Participates in a structured on-the-job and classroom training program and learns routine and basic manual labor tasks.
2. Waters lawns, planted areas and playfields, manually or by means of automatic sprinklers; uses hand or power mower to cut lawns; fertilizes lawns, shrubs and flower beds.
3. Performs routine and limited trimming and pruning of shrubs and hedges by use of hand or power shears; gathers and disposes of cuttings.
4. With close supervision, sprays herbicides; plants and transplants shrubs or small plants; traps or destroys rodents; assists in the renovation of lawns or play areas.
5. Removes debris and litter; sweeps and otherwise cleans play areas, paths or roadways; removes trash; assists in the loading of debris on truck.
6. Rakes and weeds lawns; weeds and cultivates planted areas; cleans restrooms or other auxiliary buildings in a playground or park.
7. Sharpens, cleans and otherwise maintains tools and equipment, and performs general maintenance duties.
8. Assists in responding to specific service requests generated by the public, department or other City agency.
9. Loads and unloads materials, supplies, and equipment on and off trucks in proper and safe manner.
10. Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Working Conditions: The nature of the work may require exposure to inclement weather conditions and may require exposure to infectious and/or hazardous materials and/or conditions. Some positions require driving. Some positions may require riding mowers and driving small utility vehicles. Some positions may require weekend or shift work.
1. Possession of a High School Diploma or proof of successful completion of an equivalency test (G.E.D. or California High School Proficiency Examination); AND
2. Six (6) months (1040 hours) of verifiable experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped general ground areas; AND
3. Meets all eligibility and entrance criteria for enrollment in the required Apprentice Gardener course work at City College of San Francisco. AND
4 . Possession and maintenance of a valid driver license (You must submit a copy with your application)
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST SUBMIT THE REQUIRED VERIFICATION WITH THE APPLICATION FOR ALL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OR YOUR APPLICATION MAY BE REJECTED
City & County of San Francisco - 7 months ago
City & County of San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
City & County of San Francisco
- 30+ days ago