Implements all aspects of department procedures and protocol including, but not limited to, the care and maintenance of a 100,000 gallon marine aquarium and associated exhibits and quarantine facilities, support for mermaid show and educational presentations. This position will be responsible for carrying out assigned duties in order to provide healthy habitat for animals and an enjoyable experience for customers.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required to Perform Work:
· Knowledge of aquarium systems including life support systems for fish, animal husbandry, maintenance needs, and quarantine protocols for a large variety of marine species.
· Knowledge of general fish biology.
· Knowledge of water filtration and tank cycling.
· Have assisted on the design and fabrication of at least a 200-gallon salt water Aquarium.
· Knowledge of health and safety procedures for working around and within a 100,000 gallon salt water aquarium and associated laboratory/quarantine facilities.
· Ability to effectively communicate with both staff members and managers.
· Ability to keep records and communicate effectively and diplomatically, both orally and in writing.
· 3 1/2 years experience with a large (more than 20,000 gallons) public-oriented aquarium working with marine fish and/or life support systems.
· SCUBA certification
· Bachelors of Science Degree in Biological Sciences or related.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the individual assigned to this job classification and is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.