The Area Manager is responsible for the overall management and operations of water and wastewater facilities that comprise the Fort Wayne Division. The Area Manager shall direct the staff for the efficient operation of the company to ensure quality customer and community service, employee and regulatory relationships and appropriate shareholder return. The Area Manager is responsible for growing the customer base and for acquiring additional systems to make company operations more efficient. The position is one of integrity and appropriate disclosure will be required.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Developing plans, establishing priorities and allocating resources to achieve company goals.
2. Actively promotes the company's position and image by establishing and maintaining positive communications and relationships with customers, elected officials, local communities and the public and regulatory officials.
3. Prepares and administers operating and capital budget within area of responsibility. Supervises maintenance and capital renovations and additions to water and wastewater systems.
4. Supervises staff including employee selection, mutual development of performance goals and measurements; performance evaluation; providing training and growth opportunities; planning and directing work assignments; creating atmosphere of trust and support; fairly administering Company policies affecting staff; and communicating information for effective job performance.
5. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
6. Assesses problems and events daily and assigns appropriate personnel to resolve accordingly.
7. Interacts with customers regarding problems or issues, prioritizes and addresses them promptly; notifies customers of upcoming service adjustments or maintenance procedures.
8. Works with business development in the coordinating and negotiating with developers regarding new systems. Assist in the identification, due diligence and smooth transition of acquisitions.
9. Coordinates and negotiates with vendors regarding supplies and/or services needed. Hires and oversees work by contractors and subcontractors.
10. Manages work of office personnel, field personnel and contractors, specifying modifications when necessary. Interviewing, hiring, and training employees, appraising performance, rewarding, counseling, and disciplining employees.
11. Addressing complaints and resolving issues. Safeguard shareholders equity and assure adequate return on the same.
12. Other duties as required.
13. Duties performed in usual office conditions, may require occasional travel. Time spent in the field involves exposure to the elements, noise, and potentially hazardous substances and conditions.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
a. Organizational Leadership and Supervision
b. Knowledge of Organizational Structure
c. Map Reading or Knowledge of Facility Locations
d. Interpersonal Skills
e. Familiarity with Company Forms Required for Related Work
f. Customer Service Policies and Procedures
g. Diagnose, Analyze and Correct Problems in Water/Wastewater Systems
h. Knowledge of Functions, Policies and Procedures of Division
i. Oral and Written Communications Skills
k. Problem Solving/Decision MakingCommitment to Safety throughout the Division
m. Budgeting and Forecasting
n. Cost Control
o. Motivational Skills
p. Knowledge of Safe Drinking Water Act and other Environmental Regulations
Bachelor’s degree and experience that will provide background and the level of knowledge in both operational and financial aspects of water utility operations including at least five years experience in water utility industry or related business and three years management experience.
Must possess strong leadership skills necessary to lead company employees and conduct business in an ethical manner with customers, regulators, local communities and public officials.
Must be able to motivate people, manage differences and resolve conflicts and engage people in a common effort to obtain company objectives. Must be able to anticipate and help the company and its employees adapt to change.
Demonstrated competency in oral and written communications, and above average computer skills.
INTERNAL: Maintains a working relationship with all levels of staff throughout the Company requiring considerable common courtesy, tact and strong interpersonal skills.
EXTERNAL: Contact with customers affiliated companies, vendors, developers and contractors, engineers, regulators, community leaders and attorneys, requiring considerable common courtesy, tact and good interpersonal skills.
Aqua America, Inc. - 21 months ago
Aqua America helps keep water clean and people quenched. It is a holding company for regulated utilities that provide water distribution and...