We’re Patch.com, a digital platform that’s radically reinventing journalism and community engagement. We launched with just 3 sites in February 2009 and now operate hundreds of sites in communities across the country - and we are continuing to expand! Patch is founded on two core principles: that there’s a big need for news and information in small towns, and that we can create a successful, sustainable business model around that need. Even as many newsrooms have been downsized or shut down over the past few years, Patch is investing millions to strengthen our platform and to provide meaningful daily news, ways for users to interact with the site and with each other, and support for our communities’ local businesses and economy. A lot of people are paying attention; our stories have been picked up by virtually every major news organization, including CNN, Fox News, AP and Reuters, USA Today, the New York Times , the Wall Street Journal, and then some.
And did we mention fun?
Patchers know how to have a good time, from our monthly Fun Club activities to the Give 5 program that offers our employees paid time off to do volunteer work in Patch towns. Patch is all about serving communities, and this is one of the most important ways we accomplish that.
About the Team
Patch is redefining itself. Over the past three years, Patch has built an amazing foundation of software, services, and staff and is poised to be the essential destination for everything to do with where you live. We have a lot of work ahead of us and we need your creativity and hard work to succeed. Patch is a creative, collaborative, dynamic workplace. What does that mean? That there are big opportunities to make cool stuff, a ton of messy challenges along the way, and a great team to work with. Although our roles are well defined and offer clear opportunities for growth and advancement, you should also expect to collaborate so closely with other team members that the boundaries blur. We're in it together and all pitch in to launch the best possible product.
About the Job
Patch is looking for an Art Director who is a designer at heart, someone who has a passion and a solid understanding of design (typography, color theory, composition, etc.) The Art Director will oversee the creation and production of designs solutions for Patch.com. The position of Art Director requires a senior level creative talent, with a proven ability in the areas of narrative/conceptual design, systematic design, and graphic/aesthetic design. It is also a leadership position.
Narrative / Conceptual - crafting stories and building the Patch brand across all brand touchpoints for consumers, advertisers, and content creators.
Systematic – execution of the visual counterpart of an interaction designer. Building and crafting large complex systems and experiences from dynamic interfaces to large systematic websites.
Graphic / Aesthetic - master-level understanding of graphic design, typography and layout and how it extends through the digital realm and its counterparts.
Here's how a visual designer at Patch spends their time
- Inspiring and leading the team through multiple on-going timelines
- Work with and mentor younger designers on the team as well as push the work to new levels
- Concepting visual designs for new products and features
- Execute detailed design including interactive elements, icons, and motion
- Presenting to the team and management
- Leading the creation and maintenance of style guide and design patterns
- Collaborating with UX directors, interaction designers, developers, and QA to refine interaction and implement designs
- Inspiring the visual design team to stay fresh and fostering an exciting creative environment
- Learning about our users and their aesthetic and interaction sensibilities
- Advocating for and delivering design excellence in everything we make
We’re looking for someone to come share our vision for the future of Patch
What We Need to See
- 5-7 Years of Experience design experience in web, product, advertising, and typography
- Exceptional communication skills within the team and with management
- Significant experience in Graphic Design
- Strong leadership skills - ability to collaborate with, guide, and mentor junior team members
- A solid understanding of designing user interfaces with complex interaction and motion
- Strong conceptual thinking
- An in-depth understanding of HTML, capabilities of web browsers, scripting, animation, and tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc).
- Experience collaborating with interaction designers, developers, and product/project managers
- Willingness to empathize with, and design for, our target audience
Patch offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) match and performance bonus. Patch Media, part of the Huffington Post Media Group, is an AOL company.
- Your resume
- A portfolio demonstrating your best work, URLs where possible.
Though it's no longer a part of Time Warner, AOL is still serving America online. The Web portal serves users with an array of content...