Museum of the Rockies at Montana State University, Bozeman, seeks a creative Art Director to join its staff. Already Montana’s most visited museum and one of the state’s top five attractions, the Museum is internationally known for its paleontology program, led by Dr. Jack Horner, and is building public awareness and support for its regional western history program and commitment to children and families. The Museum is a Smithsonian affiliate and accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
The Art Director will be responsible for the conceptual and visual development, graphic design, art direction, file preparation, print production oversight and print production budget control of all of the Museum’s marketing and advertising efforts, to include, but is not limited to, magazine, newspaper, collateral, signage, posters, postcards and other online and offline marketing materials. Working in conjunction with the Marketing Director, this position must be able to understand and respond appropriately to strategic direction, client input and creative direction in order to provide art direction advice and design solutions to client and team members. The Art Director is responsible for setting and managing project schedules with attention to internal and external deadlines, managing costs within project budgets, and overseeing print production vendors, interns and freelance designers (as required). Reports directly to the Marketing Director.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Art Direction or related field or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
2. Minimum one-year experience working in advertising agency, marketing firm or corporate/non-profit communications department.
3. Must possess a portfolio of produced art direction and design work for paying clients or corporate/non-profit communications department.
4. Working knowledge of Creative Suite with advanced proficiency in Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Word, PowerPoint and Keynote.
5. Proven ability to evaluate proposals, cost estimates and bids in order to provide the best marketing solutions and achieve maximum results within budget.
1. Knowledge and understanding of creative, branding and communications strategies, messaging, brand identity and campaign continuity.
2. Knowledge of font styles, typography, leading and kerning, print production, color and file preparation.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work in a creative- and marketing-team environment and remain focused on the overall objectives and goals of the marketing program; manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines; respond quickly to design challenges and provide smart, strategic solutions for marketing messages; work closely with external print, online and other outside vendors to secure bids, set schedules and meet deadlines; and evaluate proposals, cost estimates and bids in order to provide the best marketing solutions and achieve maximum results within budget.
1. In accordance with MSU policy, hiring will be conditional upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
2. Must have the ability to possess or obtain a Montana driver’s license.
3. This position requires evening and weekend work as determined by Museum events.
Screening of applications will begin on September 23, 2013 and will continue to be accepted until an adequate pool is established.
To apply, submit the following :
(1) a letter of application addressing all of the above required and preferred qualifications, and
(2) a current resume or vitae,
(3) a website link to a current portfolio of art direction and design work and
(3) the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of three current professional references.
An application packet addressing all of the above listed items is highly encouraged. Missing materials and/or information may not be requested and may result in your application not being considered for the position.
Electronic submissions in PDF format are preferred, and must have the applicant's signature on the letter of application. For electronic submittals, please indicate "Applicant - Search #14-059" in the subject line of the email.
Submit materials to:
Search Committee Secretary
Museum of the Rockies
Montana State University
600 W. Kagy Boulevard
Bozeman MT 59717
In order to receive Veterans Preference during the application review process, it is highly recommended that the required forms are included at the time you submit your application materials. Click here for the forms and information regarding Veterans Preference. Important note : Your preference form is submitted to a different location than your application materials. A DD214 is not a required document.
Montana State University - 18 months ago
Founded in 1893, Montana State University - Bozeman has a national and international reputation for its excellence in undergraduate and...