The Art Director’s primary responsibility is to execute external and internal designs that meet our marketing and company objectives. They will work closely with the Creative and Online teams as well as teams throughout the company to create and produce or provide direction for a broad range of advertising and marketing collateral, both print and digital. This person is an exceptional conceptual thinker and has an advanced understanding of advertising and marketing, as well as exceptional design skills and a passion for bringing new ideas and new thinking to the table. He/she must have the ability to lead projects by gathering information, collaborating throughout the process and both taking and giving clear direction to Creative and Marketing team members. Most importantly, this person must have the ability to create an initiative from concept to launch – designing consistent touch points along the way. Working and thinking quickly are important skills in this role, as projects are ever-changing. This is a full-time salaried, exempt position.
Position Reports To
Vice President of Creative and Online
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ability to develop a campaign from start to finish – across all channels, for example:
- Launching loyalty or registry-type programs that start with a logo and grow to online, in-store, direct mail, etc.
- Developing an entire campaign including direct mail catalogs, in-store literature, internal communication pieces, magazine and newspaper ads, outdoor media, grand opening campaign collateral, emails, online banners, blog posts, private labels, signature designs, gift cards, in-store signage and other print projects.
- Translating a campaign or program to in-store, resulting in signs and graphics that make an impact with our customers.
- Participate and communicate as a contributor to all teams, including merchandising, visual, marketing, Information Systems, and project requestors.
- Manage the process for making changes/updates on routings, working with copywriters via InCopy and attending approval meetings to help obtain final approval.
- Able to pass off and give strong direction to the production team to execute the creative strategy for projects.
- Inspire and collaborate with co-workers to produce inventive, thoughtful, relevant work.
- Create and execute projects following direction and job requirements on Launchpad requests – the departmental Creative Workflow Management tool.
- Work as part of team to concept, storyboard and present video ideas for campaigns or new products.
- Be able to create wireframes that demonstrate a keen understanding of the online “flow.”
- Design for online, blogs and social media – including Facebook Banners and work on online projects such as banners, emails, e-catalogs, blog postings and updates.
- Manage and prioritize workload and meet all deadlines scheduled in the system.
- Build press-ready mechanicals, prepare and release print-ready final files to vendors and partner with Print Production Design Manager to achieve brand consistency on all printed materials.
- Print and assemble components needed for presentations or mock-ups, as well as mounting and trimming projects done in-house.
- Have the ability to sketch comps as part of the design process.
- Direct Photo Shoots for the different types of campaigns and programs.Have the creative talent to design Signature Gift Wrap and pattern designs for exclusive products for The Container Store.
- Consistently arrive promptly to work the assigned schedule.
- Responsible for maintaining discretion related to all confidential/sensitive company and customer information.
- Perform all other assigned duties.
Experience and Skills Required :
The Container Store promotes a smoke-free, drug-free environment. EOE.
- 5 - 6 years previous experience in an agency/design studio or in-house creative department, retail and ecommerce preferred
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Proficiency in Mac environment, OS X, advanced knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign, InCopy, HTML. AfterEffects and Flash are a bonus. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel knowledge is also required.
- Established success as an Art Director as evidenced by an exceptional portfolio that includes outstanding conceptual thinking and problem solving
- Passion for emerging technology
- Dynamic presentation and communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of print production
- Copywriting and proofreading skills a plus
- Experience using a Creative Workflow Management tool
- Sense of urgency and accuracy
- Passion for working in an ever-changing and flexible environment handling multiple deadline-driven projects with a high level of detail
- Self motivated, with understanding of teamwork
- Dynamic presentation and communication skills, as well as excellent verbal and written communication, organizational and time management skills
- Communicative, flexible and patient under tight deadlines
- Willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done, with the understanding that “everything matters” – every detail is important.
Click to view physical requirements.
The Container Store - 22 months ago
The Container Store is an innovative company that sells more than 10,000 unique storage and organization solutions. We are employee-first...