The Asian Studies Curator strengthens the collection development process in Fondren Library by acting as bibliographer for Asian-language materials in the humanities and (to a lesser degree) the social sciences. This individual will be extensively engaged in communicating with faculty and administrative staff, collecting information regarding curricular and research developments with potential library impact, while sharing information about library resources and services.
Library Science or related field (ALA-accredited).
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Experience in an academic library, including reference, instruction and/or collection development.
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
Other Skills Required
- Demonstrated ability to work well with faculty, staff, students, and administrators.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and with teams.
- Excellent command of modern and classical Chinese language, as well as excellent spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of Japanese and/or Korean.
- Proficiency in Pinyin and Wade-Giles Romanization systems.
- Knowledge of Chinese publishing and book trade.
- Knowledge of current research trends and methods in Asian Studies.
- Proficiency with standard word processing and web page CMS interfaces.
- Familiarity with the arrangement and description of digital collections materials, standards of bibliographic control and preservation, and practices in an academic library, including reference, instruction and collection development.
Rice University - 20 months ago
You have to be as wise as an owl to attend Rice University, and have really good SAT scores. Often referred to as the "Ivy League of...