Performs a variety of clerical duties involved in maintaining patient medical records to include assembly, analysis, filing, retrieving and distributing medical records, loose notes and reports,and maintaining associated logs and records in accordance with established priorities and procedures within the Medical Record Area. Processes Release of Information requests in accordance with current HIPAA regulations.
Duties, Tasks & Responsibilities:
1. Signs out charts from the department utilizing appropriate manual and computerized systems.
2. Files medical records, outpatient reports and loose reports in a timely manner.
3. Answering telephone and taking requests for medical records or information; sorting requests according to pre-determined priorities and providing routine information of ageneral nature such as history numbers, admission or discharge dates and medical record locations to authorized requestors.
4. Copying medical information from patient medical records to answer authorized requests in support of patient care activities, patient account settlements, and third party sponsorship; documenting patient records appropriately.
5. Assembles patient records in an accurate and timely manner.
6. Analyzes patient records for deficiencies in an accurate manner.
7. Documents deficiencies utilizing appropriate manual and computerized systems.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of Release of Information policies/procedures; completes requests within 7 days of receipt.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Experience & Education
1. Associate Degree with emphasis in HIM preferred
2. Previous experience in office setting
3. Experience with billing and insurance preferred
4. Basic computer knowledge
5. Knowledge of medical terminology
6. See Physical Demands for lifting & other physical/environmental requirements.
Crawford Memorial Hospital - 18 months ago