The purpose of this classification is to perform a wide variety of responsible and complex administrative and accounting functions. The Asset Management Analyst examines researches, analyzes and interprets data and records to incorporate procedural and/or accounting concepts regarding program wants and needs for the Real Estate Services Department. Assists in compiling information for the preparation of monthly budget variance reports of various housing developments as well as annual agency-wide budgets; coordinates with staff to identify sources of required information; contacts vendors for price quotes; and inputs and formats budget data.
Education: Associate’s degree or any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities for this classification. Such experience and training would be equivalent to an Associate’s degree in Business Administration, Construction management or Accounting or related field. Experience used to satisfy the education requirement must be in addition to any other experience required for this position.
Experience: A minimum of three years experience in financial administration or accounting experience in the field of real state lending and construction; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
• Must possess or have the ability to obtain an appropriate, valid California driver's license within 30 days of employment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Assists in the design, implementation and maintenance of internal financial procedures designed to enhance fiscal control and accountability of the Department, and provide the Department with reliable financial reports on the status of various projects.
• Assists in compiling information for the preparation of monthly budget variance reports of various housing developments as well as annual, agency-wide budgets; coordinates with staff to identify sources of required information; contacts vendors for price quotes; and inputs and formats budget data, typically on Excel spreadsheets. Provides narratives for variances and action items while reviewing the financial reports and/or accounting entries for accuracy
• Prepares first budget draft in conjunction with Property Management companies.
• Prepares and provides financial information to auditors, reviews audit.
• Compiles data for monthly watch list meetings.
• Responsible for compliance with all Partnership, lending and regulatory agreements including but not limited to affordability requirements, reserve requirements, approvals and operational warranties documented in Management Plans and Property Management agreements.
• Attends and conducts related meetings as required.
• Establishes and maintains a variety of documents, records and files in an electronic database.
• Monitors, researches, reviews and analyzes existing and new regulations and examines the effect on the Property Management Organization’s operations.
• Manages Replacement Reserve withdrawal process to ensure compliance with Partnership Agreements.
• Responds to requests for information from within the Real Estate Services Department, and other departments within the agency as well as federal, state and local agencies.
• Completes annual/quarterly reports for various regulatory agencies including HUD, CTCAC, City of San Jose, City of Santa Clara, etc.
• Conducts site visits, inspections and resident file audits to ensure properties meet Agency and regulatory standards.
• Assists with the financial reporting requirements required by Housing Authority and Housing Authority partners to close real estate acquisition and refinancing transactions for properties owned or managed by the Housing Authority.
• Maintains a variety of financial records and files; collect statistical information as needed; conduct file research; and compile reports as requested.
• Prepares draft agenda items and packets for affiliates Board Meetings and provides them to the Asset Manager for review and approval.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations for properties in portfolio.
• Helps maintain a variety of records and files relating to Housing Authority asset management; conduct file research on contractual financial obligations, and compile statistical information and provide assistance with reports as needed.
• Performs site visits as required to ascertain the property condition is being maintained in a healthful and safe manner. The visit is to ensure the properties are being managed in compliance with all lender, investor, regulatory, state and local guidelines and in adherence to the Property Management Agreement; to plan for capital needs and annual operating budgeting and to gauge tenant satisfaction.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Participates in special projects as requested.
• Accounting principles and procedures and their application to a variety of accounting transactions and problems.
• Principles and practices of budgeting.
• Must be able to operate a computer. Must be proficient in Microsoft programs including but not limited to Excel, Outlook and Word. Must be able to learn other software programs required by the Agency and/or department.
• Must have a sound knowledge and ability in business correspondence and an ability to proofread for grammar, spelling and punctuation with a high degree of accuracy.
• Proper telephone etiquette and procedures.
• The details of housing assistance programs administered by the Real Estate Services Department and their rules, regulations, requirements, and guidelines.
• Housing-related federal, state, and local codes and laws relative to program development.
• Agency policies and procedures. Health, safety, sanitation, and structural factors involved in housing.
• Policies, programs, procedures, and terminology related to housing programs administered by the Authority.
• At least three years experience in routine accounting, financial management or account payable/ account receivable processing, preferably in real estate and construction financial management procedures, or public agency project accounting.
• Basic familiarity with the legal documents and accounting principles associated with real estate construction and real estate finance, including conventional loan documents, construction contracts, grants and concessionary loans.
• Provides assistance and serve as a back up to other employees of the department as needed.
APTITUDES AND ABILITIES:
• Work under the stress of short timelines and high volume of assignments and understand oral and written instructions and procedures.
• Prepare budgets and analyzes financial performance.
• Learn new software, and identify and acquire assistance when required.
• Statistical methods and basic analytical techniques, and their application.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Comprehend and interpret complex rules, regulations and laws.
• Make rapid and sound independent judgments
• Effective prioritization and organizational skills.
• Thorough familiarity with modern office and accounting procedures, methods and computer equipment, including Excel spreadsheet software. Business letter writing and basic techniques of financial spreadsheet report preparation.
• Perform difficult and complex administrative and financial accounting support services for construction and real estate management related functions of the Department, including facility with Excel spreadsheet software.
• Communicate quickly, effectively, professionally, and precisely in English in written and oral expression.
• In a consistently professional manner, maintain good working relationships with counterparts in the financial institutions associated with the Housing Authority and Housing Authority partners, contractors and outside agencies, including the ability to acquire necessary information, solve accounting problems and make referrals to other Housing Authority staff members. Serve as the front line administrative support person for the construction management team of the Real Estate Services Department.
• Assist the Department in screening office visits and telephone calls to the Asset Manager and Department Director; respond to complaints and requests for information on regulations, procedures and financial control systems.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials Utilization: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
Mathematical Aptitude: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions; and the ability to interpret graphs.
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as bright/dim light or repetitive wrist motion.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks are performed when circumstances change. This job description replaces all previous descriptions for this position.
The Housing Authority of the County of Santa Clara (HACSC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on religious affiliation, marital status, physical or mental disability, national origin, citizenship, age, race, color, creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic makeup, political or union affiliation, status as a Vietnam-era, disabled or other veteran, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Authority will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to complete the application process please contact the Authority’s Human Resources Department by either visiting the Authority at 505 West Julian Street, San Jose, California, 95110, or calling (408) 993-2934.
Housing Authority of the County of Santa Clara - 15 months ago