The Financial Strategy and External Affairs team has been created this past year to integrate the functions needed to achieve Turnaround’s growth goals. Under the leadership of the Senior VP for Financial Strategy and External Relations, this multidisciplinary, ten-person team brings together development (fundraising from individuals and foundations), communications (print, video, and online messaging), events (fundraising events, presentations, and school site visits), partnership development (engaging schools, districts, and other organizations) and policy work.
The Assistant will be a vital member of this team, increasing the bandwidth of the team leader and working with everyone in the department to enhance the collaboration and overall effectiveness of the team and assure smooth coordination with the Executive Office.
This position represents an excellent opportunity for learning and professional growth in the context of addressing a major societal issue. The successful candidate will be characterized by initiative, problem solving ability, flexibility, responsiveness and personal accountability. She or he will combine strong organizational skills with a meticulous attention to detail. He or she will listen carefully, anticipate and pro-actively address the needs and concerns of the team leader, as well as of the team as a whole. A strong collaborator, he or she will be ready to help others on the smallest task or take initiative to solve a problem or lead a project successfully.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to join a rapidly growing, high-performing nonprofit organization focused on some of the most important issues in education reform today, and to learn from and collaborate with a highly skilled team.
Required Skills and Experience
- Manage the schedule of the Senior VP, guide preparation for meetings and assure follow-up;
- Organize department meetings, including managing logistics, preparing agendas and materials, taking minutes and tracking follow up;
- Draft and proof read correspondence with external parties as required (e.g. foundations, consultants, non-profit partners, school districts, policymakers, media);
- Support administrative aspects of team functioning, e.g. travel and reimbursement coordination, time records, and grants administration as needed;
- Carry out and manage ad hoc projects for the SVP or team (could include but not be limited to preparation of reports, conducting research, managing or carrying out aspects of funding or contract proposals, etc.); Identify and solve problems and drive projects to completion;
- Provide flexible support for each department function as needed and facilitate the development of improved work processes to assure the overall success of the team in accomplishing its goals;
- Support and assure effective use of a sophisticated new contact management system through data input and developing proficiency to support others in using this;
- Generally support effective collaboration among team members and between team members and with the executive department and other departments;
- Carry out other appropriate tasks as requested.
Required experience: 2 - 5 years
- Bachelors degree and minimum 1-2 years work experience;
- Demonstrated achievement in a demanding work environment;
- Very well organized, with systematic and meticulous attention to details;
- Flexible and adaptable. Able to work with ambiguity and changing conditions and priorities.
- Ability to manage and balance a wide range of projects and duties in fast moving environment;
- A proactive, “can-do” approach; demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness;
- An excellent team player with a positive attitude and the ability to connect and collaborate with others;
- Ability to write and speak clearly and effectively, using appropriate and diplomatic language, grammar and spelling, especially letters, memos, agendas and other routine business documents;
- Ability to identify and anticipate problems, analyze situations and recommend solutions;
- Accountable – willing to accept appropriate levels of responsibility for tasks, projects and outcomes;
- Flexibility in working hours, notably availability by email in off hours – some evening and weekend work may be required;
- Intermediate or better proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products and general ability to learn new software;
- Commitment to our mission.
Minimum required education: Bachelor's Degree
Job category: Production & Operations
Doostang - 16 months ago