The Houston Teacher Leadership Development team, which is responsible for coaching and developing our teaching corps of over 400, is searching for an assistant who is dynamic, detail and customer-service oriented, and who wants to provide behind-the-scenes support to enable our work in Houston.
The Assistant plays a pivotal role in helping the Teacher Leadership Development team reach its ambitious goals and ensuring that we have the operational resources to implement region-wide priorities. The Assistant reports directly to the Vice President of Teacher Leadership Development.
An individual would be especially motivated in this role if s/he is energized by supporting others and providing a high level of customer service.
The same entrepreneurial spirit that made Houston the world's energy capital is behind the efforts to increase educational opportunities for Houston students. For more than 21 years, Teach For America has been a part of that work. Today, our 450 corps members teach 40,000 Houston students. Our 1,000 area alumni work from all sectors to create lasting change. Their ranks include principals and assistant principals, non-profit leaders, founders of charter schools, and school system leaders.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Supporting Teacher Leadership Development staff
Managing operations of University Partnership(s)
- Coordinating and booking travel for conferences and other trips throughout the year
- Completing and submitting staff reimbursements; Completing mileage reports for Managing Directors; Process American Express reimbursement reports; process American Express statements and reimbursements on behalf of Managing Directors
- Preparing materials and providing operational support for Teacher Leadership Development staff meetings
- Managing the calendars of several leaders on the Teacher Leadership Development team, including: scheduling meetings, proactively identifying concerns and conflicts, and arranging travel.
- Coordinating school visits and site visits for potential corps members, matriculants, and visitors
- Planning and executing operations and logistics for staff retreats (approximately four times per year)
- Ensure that our program tracker (data analysis tool) is complete and maintaining the program tracker throughout the year with accurate goals, targets and benchmarks for our team
- Support ad-hoc projects identified by the Vice President
- Maintaining the regional Teacher Leadership Development team calendar to ensure accuracy of Teacher Leadership Development events, key school/district dates, team meetings, etc.
- Play a prominent role in executing operations and logistics for all corps and team events (such as professional development events for corps members and team retreats)
Candidate Profile and Experience Prerequisites
- Coordinate with our partners at the University of St. Thomas to ensure seamless operations of our partnership
- Support identified needs related to our master’s partnership(s), such as grading papers (under direction of professors), managing the operations related to assignment collection, communication and follow up with corps members, etc
- Support operational needs for meetings between university partner staff and corps members
- Skills and Approach to Work
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Exceptional customer service ethic
- Ability to take initiative and improve systems and processes
- Operates with a sense of urgency and flexibility
- Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and to juggle several projects at once with a spirit of flexibility and positive outlook
- Willing to adjust priorities in response to opportunities that arise
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Demonstrated success managing projects and/or logistics
- 1-3 years professional work experience
Benefits and Salary
- To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please scroll down to the bottom of this page to find the link to the online application.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
Teach For America seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Teach For America - 13 months ago
All kids—no matter where they live, how much money their parents make, or what their skin color is – deserve access to a great...