The Innovation, Technology and Alliances Office
The Office of Innovation, Technology and Alliances (ITA) seeks to advance UCSF’s core missions of research, healthcare, education and public service through the delivery of services and programs that optimize the creation and management of innovative alliances with commercial, non-profit, and government funding and regulatory organizations; aid in the transfer of UCSF technologies to commercial organizations for development and public benefit; and help the creation of new companies focused on the commercialization of UCSF intellectual property.
The Clinical Trials Business Support Center within the Office of Innovation, Technology, and Alliances is a fast-paced, deadline-driven, dynamic, customer-service-oriented environment. Supervised by the Team Manager, the Assistant Budget and Coverage Analyst (ABCA) provides support to 3-6 Budget and Coverage Analysts (BCAs) and 1 Team Manager. The ABCA will monitor proposal timelines for BCAs and PIs and assist in facilitating the pre-award process to fulfill institutional goals. ABCAs are responsible for independently gathering and following up on proposal materials and information with Principal Investigators (PIs), industry sponsors, and campus clinical research groups. ABCAs initiate and prepare for the stages of coverage analysis by monitoring databases and alerting BCAs of new submissions, setting up Excel workbooks, and entering data into multiple electronic databases. Under direction from BCAs, an ABCA will prepare and follow up on billing applications to the Medicare Administrative Contractor for the State of California. The ABCA will be familiar with standard trial regulatory documents, CPT coding and medical billing concepts, phases of clinical research, and trial start-up processes.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• BA/BS with a major in a science or health related field and two years of experience in clinical research administration or medical billing and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Proficient skills in using software applications such as Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook), Adobe Acrobat, and internet search engines
• Proficiency in working in web-based database systems such as CACTAS (SalesForce), iMedRIS, OnCore, PeopleSoft, and REDCap
• Ability to rapidly research online resources for information supporting the proposal process
• General knowledge and ability to comprehend funding opportunities, clinical trial operations, and medical procedure billing
• Familiarity with clinical trial regulatory documents such as protocols and informed consents
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
• Strong time management skills and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
• Ability to prioritize and organize work; exceptional multitasking skills
• Ability to provide quality customer service
• Ability to interface with various levels of faculty, staff, departments, and external collaborators and business entities
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment, particularly using electronic resources and communication
• Ability to work quickly, accurately, and independently with initiative, and be resourceful and proactive
• Ability to quickly read and comprehend large amounts of electronic text comprised of scientific, medical, and legal language
Physical Demands: requires sitting; standing; walking; squatting; bending; waist twisting; kneeling; climbing stairs; reaching up to shoulder height; reaching above shoulder level; carrying/lifting 20 pounds; pushing/pulling 20 pounds; gripping/grasping, fine/gross finger manipulation; repetitive movements of upper and lower extremities; differentiate color.
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required.
• Proficiency in CPT coding
• Familiarity with UCSF contracts and grants policies and procedures including postaward management of clinical awards
• Familiarity with UCSF CHR policies and procedures
• Experience with budgeting and negotiating with industry sponsors
• Familiarity with FDA regulations related to clinical trials
• Proficiency with OnCore
• Experience in medical billing
• Familiarity with Medicare benefits
University of California San Francisco - 17 months ago