The Assistant City Attorney, under the broad policy and guidance of the City Attorney, performs a variety of complex professional work in representing the City as a member of the City’s Legal Department; rendering legal advice to the City Council, Mayor, City Manager, City Departments and City Boards and Commissions. Position will also assist in Municipal Court as needed; and represent the City in litigation.
· Represents the City in lawsuits and in Municipal Court in support of the City Prosecutor as needed.
· Remains informed on current and pending legislation. Analyzes federal and state legislation affecting the City.
· Prepares, and approves as to form, agreements and assists in the negotiation of proposed agreements.
· Prepares, reviews, and revises ordinances, resolutions, deeds pleadings, contracts and other legal documents.
· Researches, studies, and provides legal interpretations and recommendations on a variety of complex legal issues.
· Prepares and presents the City’s case before administrative agencies and governing bodies of other jurisdictions as required or directed by the City Attorney.
· Attends City Council meetings as assigned. Provides advice and direction to the City Council as needed.
· Attends Board and Commission meetings as assigned to provide legal analysis and representation.
· Review and compile documents requested as open records; prepare written documents for Court including pleadings, memorandums, motions, and briefs.
Experience & Education:
Experience : Three years of increasingly responsible experience in city or related government law, including trial experience.
Education : Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
License or Certificate : License to practice law in the State of Kansas. Valid Driver’s License.
Must be able to pass a background investigation, pre-employment physical and drug screen.