Central Garden & Pet Company (NASDAQ: CENT), a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet, lawn and garden supplies markets. Our Pet Segment is seeking an Assistant Controller to join our Finance team in our Santa Fe Springs, CA office.
The Assistant Controller will assist with all accounting, financial reporting, accounting analysis, budgeting, business planning and operational analysis for the Pet Distribution business. The position reports to the Controller, Pet Distribution unit; and in partnership with the division will be responsible for the activities of the general accounting operations, financial reporting to management, and the compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and tax requirements.
Please visit our website at www.central.com for additional company information.
- Assist with payroll and financial reporting for multiple locations.
- Ensure that the appropriate accounting methodologies and practices are routine, and the books are closed and detailed management reporting is performed on a timely and accurate basis.
- Responsible for the correct and accurate accounting classification of all expenditures to ensure that inventory records and operating costs are accurate
- Responsible for maximizing the efficiency of all accounting personnel by providing them with training, motivation, and direction, including specific goals and objective productivity targets
- Preparation of financial statements, budgets, analysis, and management reports for use at the divisional and corporate levels
- Timely preparation of departmental reports and branch Profit and Loss statements and for the timely reporting of “ budget to actual “ results
- Advising division management on opportunities to increase profitability, reduce expenses, and increase customer satisfaction
- Assist with all audits by independent audit firms
- Maintaining, developing, and auditing internal controls to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley
- Provide partnership and input in product/customer pricing analysis to improve gross margin
- Conduct special accounting studies, analyses, and cost studies, and provide statistics and comments to assist in the interpretation of operating results and provide specific recommendations which will result in cost reductions and profit improvements
- Minimum BS degree in Accounting – CPA/MBA highly desirable
- Minimum of 7+ years of progressive accounting management experience ( some public company experience) in a consumer products company with distribution experience
- Must be a strong generalist well versed in accounting operations
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment both at the division and corporate levels and the ability to effectively use influencing skills
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Demonstrated strengths in project management, problem-solving, communications and change management skills
- Ability to deal with a fast paced business environment and rapidly changing business priorities, and high volume of transactions
- Expert computer skills and highly effective user of ERP systems and business intelligence tools, Cognos
CENTRAL GARDEN & PET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Central Garden & Pet is happy to help with both pets and pests. The company is among the largest US producers and distributors of lawn,...