HCC Specialty (HCCS) has a great opportunity for an Assistant Controller within our Accounting department at our corporate office in Wakefield, MA. HCCS is a division of HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc. ("HCC Insurance"), comprised of HCC Specialty Underwriters, Inc. (HCCSU), Professional Indemnity Agency, Inc. (PIA) and HCC Public Risk.
The Assistant Controller will be responsible for assisting the Controller in the establishment and maintenance of accounting principles, practices, and procedures for assigned area of the company. In addition, the Assistant Controller assists in the development and maintenance of planning and budgeting systems, the preparation of financial and management reports and procedures, supervision of accounting activities related to the maintenance of ledger accounts and the presentation of findings and specific recommendations to senior management.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Direct the day to day functions of the applicable accounting department including, but not limited to, planning, prioritizing, and directing work flow, acting as a resource for questions, and interfacing with senior management.
- Prepare portions of the monthly financial packages provided in monthly Executive Summary reporting.
- Review and reconcile monthly Insurance Company transactions related to assigned lines of businesses.
- Oversee receivable aging and initiate the follow up on past due receivables.
- Review and approve general ledger entries to assist with monthly activity and closings.
- Run reports and queries for management as requested related to assigned lines of business.
- Assist in on-site broker/agent audits to be performed according to audit program.
- Assist Controller and CFO with budgeting, financial analysis, research, and other tasks as needed.
- Assist in transition of operating payables from subsidiary location to Wakefield.
- Perform internal control procedures and exercise initiative to identify and explain variances and unusual items.
- Create various schedules required for internal and external reporting on a GAAP basis.
- Interact with both external and internal auditors related to financial results, flux analysis and trend analysis.
- Design, review and recommend financial and accounting policies, processes, procedures and technology to meet internal and external reporting requirements, improve operation efficiency and safeguard corporate assets; plan and execute implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or a related field or the equivalent education and/or experience
- CPA designation preferred
- Minimum of eight years of relevant and progressive professional experience in accounting and/or finance
- Minimum of five years of leadership experience
- Minimum of five years of insurance related experience preferred
- Auditing background a plus
HCCS underwrites a unique portfolio of specialty and niche products. These include: disability insurance for professional athletes and entertainers, kidnap & ransom, event cancellation for major sporting and entertainment events, earthquake insurance, special event liability, weather insurance, prize indemnity insurance, product recall insurance, primary and excess casualty insurance, various professional liability classes (including but not limited to employment practice liability and architects & engineers), various niche programs including public risk and lumber and wood products.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with an emphasis on confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy
- Superior organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Advanced PC skills with proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office Package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
- Experience with an Accounting Software package (PeopleSoft preferred), as a prerequisite
- Comfortable interacting with all levels of staff
- Experience in the Insurance industry preferred
- Overtime hours may be required to fulfill job responsibilities
- Will require approximately 10% travel outside normal work location
HCC Specialty offers a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking an energetic and confident individual to join our team of professionals. HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal- opportunity employers. Please visit www.hccspecialty.com and www.hcc.com for more information about our companies.
Monster - 9 months ago