POSITION TITLE: Assistant Controller
Assists the Controller in directing PBS's accounting functions and ensures that the accounting processes and records are of the highest quality and integrity. This is achieved, in part, through the proper maintenance of all functions of accounting and effective utilization of PBS’s financial systems to provide needed financial information and analyses. The Assistant Controller is also responsible for all the related financial and regulatory reporting of these records.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Direct the preparation of the monthly journal entries and monthly, quarterly and year-end closings.
- Review monthly account analyses and activity to ensure PBS activities are accurately reflected.
- Oversee the preparation of PBS’s quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements
- Direct PBS’s payroll function, including overseeing the work performed by PBS’s managed payroll service provider, working closely with Human Resources to ensure payroll is processed and recorded timely and accurately, and ensuring all payroll matters are resolved properly and in a timely manner.
- Manage the Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and General Ledger staff, ensuring accurate, timely processes and appropriate level of internal control.
- Ensure all transactions are timely and accurately recorded and reported in accordance with GAAP.
- Represent Accounting on all updates and/or implementations of any systems that impact Accounting (e.g., ERP, payroll, etc.).
- Coordinate the annual financial statement audit of PBS and PBS Foundation. Prepare audit schedules, answer auditors’ questions and respond to their requests during the audit.
- Direct the preparation and review of annual tax filings including Form 990, 990-T, 1120 and VA-500.
- Control access, authorities and interfaces into the accounting system to ensure appropriate segregation of duties and internal control.
- Oversee the maintenance of the chart of accounts and the cost centers.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of federal and non-federal contracts and grants in compliance with contract/grant, federal compliance requirements, and other regulations.
- Monitor PBS’s activities for unrelated business income (UBI) and determine UBI tax liability, if any.
- Create, update and implement Accounting policies and procedures.
- Provide strong customer service by responding to all accounting inquiries in an accurate and timely manner from internal and external individuals.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/TRAINING REQUIRED:
- 7 years of experience in public accounting and/or experience in corporate accounting; a combination of both is preferable
- 4 years of management/supervisory experience
- Extensive experience with GAAP reporting, financial reporting and general ledger maintenance
- Experience directing/managing the Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Payroll activities
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting and reporting
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field; CPA required
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
- Proven knowledge of accounting theory and practice
- Familiarity with ERP and payroll software
- Ability to prepare consolidated financial statements in accordance with GAAP
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Must be a team player with excellent telephone, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage and empower staff
- Strong analytical skills. Takes ownership to minimize errors and communicates corrections or changes in a proactive manner
- Highly organized. Ability to complete multiple high priority tasks within set deadlines. Communicates effectively and proactively the status of projects to include barriers and possible solutions
- Able to react to change productively and resolve conflicts
- Must have good judgment, the ability to handle confidential matters, and the ability to work effectively under pressure
- Accurately applies professional knowledge, skills, expertise, and judgment to achieve excellent customer service; demonstrates a strong customer-service orientation in all interactions.
PBS - 18 months ago
You might say these shows get a lot of public support. Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is a non-profit organization that provides...