Assistant Controller is a management position responsible for planning, organizing, directing and controlling the accounting and control function of the company, and for reporting operational results.
Plans, organizes, and directs the controlling and accounting functions including:
• The daily supervision and execution of company bookkeeping including invoicing, A/R, A/P, payroll, and other functional areas;
• Closing the month’s financial records according to generally accepted accounting principles, which includes preparing journal entries, reconciling accounts, and functioning as the primary accountant;
• Generation and timely presentation and analysis of detailed monthly financial reports to senior management and outside agencies;
• Cash management, supporting credit, collections and forecasting;
• Ensuring the integrity of inventory and receivables as reported on our books;
• Preparing for and assisting in the annual independent audit of the company by our accounting firm;
• Supporting the annual budget preparation and monitoring performance and trends over time;
• Assuring protection for the assets of the business through internal control and internal auditing.
Supports development of short and long-range operating objectives, organizational structure, and staffing requirements. Assures that the duties, responsibilities and authority of each job are clearly defined, effective and communicated to incumbents, support the selection of qualified individuals and help develop training programs for employees. Fosters a strong control environment. In addition to these core duties, the Assistant Controller has an overriding responsibility to analyze all ongoing and proposed spending by the VNA to look for ways to improve efficiency and lower costs while enhancing quality and service to our customers and responsiveness to our employees and vendors.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting. CPA or MBA desirable. Working knowledge of GAAP as applies to non-profit businesses and experience with Medical Records and MAS 90 systems would be helpful. Five years related experience, including management, preferably with healthcare industry exposure. Accountant with strong accounting skills and a positive attitude. Demonstrated competence with computer operations and applications. Intermediate to advanced working knowledge of Excel, Access and Word. Ability to present financial information in a concise and clear manner to nonfinancial management staff.
Must clearly understand internal controls and segregation of duties. Working knowledge of manual and automated accounting systems. Sound organizational development and administrative skills.