Provides legal representation to City officials, Boards, Commissions and agencies in litigation involving the City; prepares advice and opinions for City in matters requiring interpretation of state or federal laws, City Charter, ordinances, administrative regulations, contracts or other legal instruments; represents City in litigation arising out of City affairs, and drafts contracts, ordinance and other legal documents as directed.
Examples of Duties:
Reports to the Corporation Counsel and is responsible for the following:
· Provides legal consultation, representation and assistance to assigned departments and Common Council Committees.
· Prepares, or reviews City contracts, ordinance or regulation proposals, and other documents by direction of the Corporation Counsel.
· Represents the City in action arising out of City business or action.
· Prepares briefs, pleadings and performs related legal research in developing position of City in litigation, state or federal administrative hearings and regulatory proceedings.
· Researches questions of law or administrative regulations.
· Reviews requests for assistance to City officials, Boards, Commissions or Committees.
· Prepares opinions and/or oral advice as needed.
· Advises on litigation to protect the interests of the City.
· Receives, negotiates and approves liability insurance settlements within established parameters.
· Attends department and Commission meetings and provides legal advice.
· Monitors federal, state and intergovernmental publications to maintain current in municipal law and state or federal regulatory procedures.
· Confers with City officials, employees, attorneys, state or federal employees and members of the public in pursuing City interests.
· Prepares information materials regarding City regulatory policies and procedures.
· Assists special counsel, when necessary or advisable, to assure interests of the City.
· Prepares statistical and narrative reports of complexity for the Corporation Counsel.
· Assigns work to secretarial and paraprofessional staff.
· Receives oral or written direction from the Corporation Counsel.
· Plans work according to established or standard procedures.
· Determines priority of work within assignment.
· Performs related work as assigned.
Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and five years of general law experience, with litigation experience desirable or, any equivalent combination of experience and training.
· Prior municipal law experience desirable.
· Thorough knowledge of the state legal system and its procedural requirements.
· Knowledge of the relevant laws of the State of Connecticut and ordinances and regulations of the City of Norwalk.
· Knowledge of federal laws and regulations as they affect City operations.
· Ability to make well-reasoned, persuasive legal arguments, orally and in writing.
· Ability to analyze laws, regulations, proposed changes, contracts and legal issues to determine their legal impact on the City.
· Ability to deal effectively with others.
License or Certificate:
Admission to practice law in Connecticut required.
Admission to practice in Federal Courts required.
Motor Vehicle License
PLEASE NOTE: The salary for this appointment will likely be at the bottom or near the bottom of the range depending on experience.
City of Norwalk, CT - 17 months ago