Assistant Dean of Students
Dean of Students
Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable Based on Experience & Qualifications (No less than $50,000)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Associate Vice President and Dean of Students
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
The Assistant Dean of Students will understand the needs of the University and work collaboratively with students, their families, faculty, staff, and others in a wide range of situations that promote students’ academic, personal, and professional development. The Assistant Dean supports the Dean of Students in the management of department programs and services and is required to handle confidential and sensitive situations with diplomacy and excellent judgment and to act calmly in any emergency or crisis situation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Meet with students and coordinate appropriate referral and follow-up for students in conjunction with other campus colleagues in the Counseling Center, Residence Life, Student Service Center, Financial Aid, International Programs and Services, etc.
2. Provide general academic advising to students (permissions for course overloads and repeats, evaluation of late drops, medical withdrawals, and excused absences) and work individually with reinstated students. Develop strategies to assist students having academic difficulty.
3. Serve as member of the Scholastic Standards Committee and follow-up as required.
4. Serve as reviewer/responder for email@example.com.
5. Assist walk-in students.
6. Assist the Dean of Students with various educational/administrative responsibilities including, but not limited to, conduct appeals, assessment efforts, and compliance initiatives.
7. Assume Dean of Students responsibilities in the absence of the Dean.
8. Update and maintain website and other forms of communications/promotion resources.
9. Coordinate information posted for current students on MyMichiganTech.
10. Supervise the Coordinator of Disability Services.
11. Create and annually update the operations manual for the area.
12. Participate on student affairs committees.
13. Participate in university events which may include evening and weekend responsibilities.
14. Provide leadership to foster a culture of safety; promote safety through actions, communication, and training.
15. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work.
16. Ensure compliance with all applicable university, state, and federal safety regulations.
17. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Functional supervision is exercised over UAW support staff, and the Coordinator of Disability Services.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
• Master’s degree preferably in Student Personnel Services, Student Development, Educational Psychology, Higher Education or related field.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Four (4) years of full-time professional experience in a higher education environment. Prior experience in student development and helping students required.
• Demonstrated background in leading collaborative efforts between multiple constituencies including faculty, staff, students, and members of the local community.
• Experience using personal computers and basic software packages.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and oral, written, and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to working collaboratively and collegially with all members of the campus community toward the common goal of improving the quality of undergraduate and graduate student learning experience.
• Demonstrated ability to relate to people from diverse populations, groups, and backgrounds with a demonstrated sensitivity to individual differences and recognition of difference as an asset to the organization.
• Demonstrated personal integrity and high ethical standards and a track record of honoring commitments.
• Demonstrated respect for others and ability to promote an atmosphere of trust, safety, and openness for colleagues and students.
• Demonstrated knowledge of student development best practices and a strong desire to provide a supportive environment for students is imperative.
• Demonstrated understanding of underrepresented groups and initiatives that enhance inclusive efforts.
• Demonstrated sense of humor.
• Demonstrated commitment to fairness and equity.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Knowledge of student disability services and the related legal issues.
Knowledge of students studying in science, technology, engineering, and math ( STEM ).
Demonstrated teambuilding, networking, and conflict resolutions skills.
Knowledge of alcohol and other drug education and proven intervention initiatives.
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate.
Personal Protective Equipment: None Required
Employee Safety Overview
Sexual Harassment Training
Annual Data Security Training
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Michigan Technological University - 16 months ago
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...