The Assistant Director for Outdoor Programs is responsible for serving as a leader within the Recreation Center. Typical duties include overseeing the daily operation of the Outdoor Rental Center, planning, developing and implementing the outdoor adventure events, assisting with the annual budget, policy development, and short and long term planning and promotion. The Assistant Director is also responsible for recruiting, hiring, training and evaluating all staff for the Outdoor Program, and instructing courses within the Lifetime Physical and Summer Youth Activity Programs.
Recreational sports or related field.
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Outdoor adventure program management and overseeing and leading adventure trips.
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
Other Skills Required
Active involvement in professional organizations related to outdoor education.
Master's degree in recreational sports or related field.
Advance knowledge, experience, skils and teaching ability in outdoor skills such as: camping and backpacking, rock climbing, gym climbing, caving, bouldering, canoeing, rafting, kayaking, etc.
- Experience working with a diverse student population in a university environment, or related experience.
- Teaching experience.
- Currently active in one or more of the following professional organizations: AORE, NOLS, NIRSA, etc.
Outdoor skills and / or instructor certifications such as ACA Kayak / Canoeing, Swift Water Rescue, Leave No Trace, AMG, and WFR.
Other Skills Preferred
Applicants must be able to participate in extensive physical exercise and exertion during outdoor activities as well as the ability to occasionally lift and carry loads of more than 30 pounds. (For example: backpacking for extended time periods)
(e.g. Weekend/evening work, travel, inclement weather, hazards)
- Work time is spent in the office and at outdoor program events. When preparing and administrating programs outside the weather conditions may be very hot/cold, rainy, etc. Unless the weather is extreme outdoor program activities take place in inclement conditions.
- Schedules must be flexible to include occasional weekend and evening programs. Travel for programs and professional association conferences are encouraged.
- Working conditions are often cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer.
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Eligible for Overtime
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Eligible for Shift Differential
Not Shift Differential Eligible
Rice University - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
You have to be as wise as an owl to attend Rice University, and have really good SAT scores. Often referred to as the "Ivy League of...