Under the general supervision of the Assistant Controller, this position serves as Assistant Director & Chief Accountant for the University and related organizations.
This position performs:
-- Accounting and managerial work of a complex nature and ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and governmental accounting standards.
-- Prepares, examines, and analyzes accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
-- Develops, maintains, and analyzes budgets, preparing reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs.
-- Supervises accounting and clerical personnel.
-- Assists in financial and compliance audits processes.
Governors State University is the only regional, public, comprehensive university in Chicago's south suburban area, serving approximately 7,750 students. GSU provides affordable and accessible undergraduate and graduate education to culturally and economically diverse students with undergraduate tuition that is the most affordable in the state.
Established in 1969, GSU emphasizes excellence, access, and innovation. Students benefit from the university's high academic quality, range of convenient class times, increasing hybrid and online, and off campus offerings, and outstanding educational value. GSU is committed to securing and maintaining academic accreditation for programs where accreditation is available. Furthermore, GSU seeks to become a national leader in successful transfer of community college students to universities and recently introduced the Dual Degree Program with features such as tuition lock-in at GSU for academically eligible community college students who commit to earn an Associate Degree and attend college full-time.
The campus, conveniently located in University Park, Illinois, is characterized by the quiet of its scenic 760 acre campus amidst vigorous suburban and business growth, towns of character and interest, along with Metra access to the vibrancy of the Chicago Loop, just 35 miles away. The campus and surrounding community enjoy the excellent cultural offerings of Governors State University's Center for Performing Arts, as well as its acclaimed Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park.
1. Bachelor's Degree in Accountancy or related field.
2. 7+ years accounting experience with progressively increasing responsibilities.
3. 3+ years of supervisory experience
4. Excellent knowledge of software implementation and use.
5. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
6. Proficiency in Excel, Word and Outlook.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
8. Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
9. Ability to explain financial information to non-financial staff.
10. Ability to develop and implement sound business practices regarding financial advisory to the university and related organizations.
11. Ability to develop and foster relationships at all levels throughout the university and related organizations.
12. Ability to problem solve.
13. Ability to perform accounting work that applies knowledge of the theory and practice of recording, classifying, examining, and analyzing data and records of financial transactions. The work is analytical, innovative, evaluative, and advisory in nature. The work draws upon and requires knowledge of theories, principles, practices and terminology of accountancy.
1. CPA preferred
2. Master's degree in related field preferred.