This position is primarily responsible for serving as a member of the rules team within Academic and Membership Affairs, with a primary emphasis on Division II responsibilities. Functions include providing support to various Division II committees, serving on the legislative relief waiver team and providing rules compliance support to the membership. Other duties may be assigned based on the candidate’s qualifications and interests.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Serve as member of the academic and membership affairs Division II team;
2. Participate in academic and membership affairs Division II educational efforts.
3. Serve as staff liaison to appropriate Division II committees, which specifically includes the following:
a. Division II Membership Committee.
b. Other committees as assigned, which may include the Division II Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
4. Assist with Division II special projects that impact/involve academic and membership affairs.
5. Serve as a member of the Legislative Relief Waiver team, which includes processing legislative relief waivers and assisting member institutions in the waiver process.
6. Assist the membership, staff and other interested individuals and organizations in understanding NCAA legislation and interpretations through telephone calls, written correspondence and in-person presentations.
7. Represent the NCAA and the academic and membership affairs staff through presentations of educational materials at various staff, Association, conference and professional organization’s seminars, workshops and meetings.
8. Serve as a liaison to NCAA conferences, assisting them in the understanding of applicable NCAA legislation and interpretations.
9. Other duties may be assigned, depending on the candidate selected.
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. Two years of full-time professional experience (excluding internships or graduate assistantships) in intercollegiate athletics academic support or advising, intercollegiate athletics compliance, or the legal profession.
3. Demonstrated working knowledge of NCAA rules.
4. Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage a high volume of job assignments with various deadlines using strong organizational skills.
5. Demonstrated ability to work effectively on a team, collaborating effectively with colleagues serving on the same team.
6. Strong oral and written communications skills, including the demonstrated ability to deliver presentations tailored to a variety of audiences.
7. Exceptional customer service skills.
8. Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to process and synthesize information in multiple formats from various sources.
9. Well-developed analytical skills.
10. Strong computer skills with a desire to embrace new technologies.
1. Master’s or advanced/professional degree(s).
2. Four years of full-time professional experience (excluding internships or graduate assistantships) in intercollegiate athletics academic support or advising, intercollegiate athletics compliance, or the legal profession. Experience within Division II will be considered favorably.
3. Experience in intercollegiate athletics as an administrator, coach or student-athlete.
4. Working knowledge of the mission, philosophy and strategic positioning platform of Division II.
5. Experience handling confidential and sensitive materials.
6. Interest in research and analysis of intercollegiate athletics issues.
1. Other academic and membership affairs staff members (regular contact with managing director/directors, administrative and support staff members).
2. Representatives and staff from different groups within the national office.
3. Institutional administrators (e.g., presidents and chancellors, athletics directors, senior woman administrators, faculty athletics representatives, compliance administrators).
4. Conference athletics administrators (e.g., commissioners, associate/assistant commissioners, compliance administrators).
5. Enrolled student-athletes.
6. Prospective student-athletes.
7. Parents of prospective student-athletes and enrolled student-athletes.
9. Members of external constituents with an interest in intercollegiate athletics (e.g., coaches associations).
National Collegiate Athletic Association - 13 months ago