POSITION TITLE Assistant Director of Maintenance at the Bronx Zoo
REPORTS TO Executive Director for Facilities, Bronx Zoo and
Director of Operations, Bronx Zoo
SUPERVISES Manager of Maintenance, Assistant Manager,
Supervisors, Motor Vehicle Operators, Maintainers,
Assistant Maintainers, Attendants, all other union
staff and seasonal employees in the Bronx Zoo's
POSITION OBJECTIVE To effectively and efficiently manage the Bronx Zoo's Maintenance Department and their assets, providing a clean, safe environment for all staff, volunteers and guests to the park. Responsible for the overall cleanliness and appearance of the Park's 265 acres, both in public and off exhibit areas. Supervise the Maintenance Department which operates and maintains the Park's guest restroom facilities, provides custodial service for staff office buildings and restrooms, as well upkeep public
exhibit space, lawns, gardens, forest and all other public spaces. Maintain the Society's physical assets including buildings, exhibits, garage, heavy machinery, vehicles and all other equipment and properties. To contribute effectively in creating the best possible guest experience for people visiting the zoo.
1) Responsible for supervising staff scheduling and providing oversight for all necessary managerial functions for the day to day operation of the Maintenance Department.
2) Directs and supervises maintenance staff in snow removal and plowing operations.
3) Supervises and monitors the overall conditions of the public restroom facilities in the Park, insuring they are maintained in a clean, professional and guest friendly manner.
4) Supervises and monitors the custodial support the department provides to Park office buildings and exhibit facilities.
5) Supervises and monitors the operation of the Motor Vehicle Garage and repair facility. Insures the integrity of the parts inventory for the garage and reviews and maintains maintenance and repair logs.
6) Conducts or approves the hiring, training, evaluation and disciplining, if necessary, of all permanent staff in the Maintenance Department.
7) Creates and works within the operating and capital budgets, taking into account long-term planning and future needs of Maintenance Department.
8) Works closely with the Horticulturist of Zoos and Aquarium to coordinate the deployment of Maintenance Department labor and equipment to support the Horticulture Department and coordinate and perform routine landscaping, grass cutting, weed trimming, planting, horticultural exhibit work and other routine maintenance work throughout the Park.
9) Coordinates with the Horticulture Department in clearing deadfall, cutting and removing fallen trees and branches on public pathways that impact negatively on the operation of the park.
10) Communicates and coordinates work as appropriate with curators, managers and supervisors in other departments to guarantee the desired appearance of the Park, exhibits, buildings and grounds in general.
11) Helpful to possess a valid NYS Commercial Driver's License (CDL), and be qualified to drive vehicles 18,000 lbs and over.
12) Maintains any and all records that the Department is required to keep, and has is very familiar with them.
13) Prepares thorough, concise written and oral reports for the Executive Director of Facilities and the EVP and Director of the Bronx Zoo as required or requested.
14) Represents the Maintenance Department at internal meetings or with outside agencies and departments as requested by the Executive Director of Facilities and the EVP & Director; Bronx Zoo.
15) Maintains the Society's standards for quality and professionalism and enhanced guest experience throughout the Park, its facilities, buildings and exhibits.
This person must be a team leader and team builder, able to direct multiple activities at once, providing supervision, guidance and follow-up as necessary. Must have the ability to prioritize jobs and work assignments. Person must have knowledge of and ability to operate heavy machinery. Helpful to possess a valid NYS Commercial Driver's License (CDL), and be qualified to drive vehicles 18,000 lbs and over. Must be able to work effectively with other department heads in carrying out the principal functions of the Maintenance Department. Must be committed to creating and maintaining a positive guest experience throughout the Bronx Zoo.