Position: Assistant Director of Membership Communications
Primary Functions: This position serves as the Membership Communications team’s lead in tracking developments in the NCAA Division II governance process; coordinating the membership communications email update system; producing regular feature stories for NCAA Champion magazine and NCAA.org; and editing content for Champion magazine and NCAA.org as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Serve as the lead coordinator for NCAAConnect e-mail update service to update lead-story items, address feedback from membership and coordinate with staff on future development initiatives.
Serve as the lead writer on Division II governance developments, covering all committee meetings, tracking issues pertinent to the Division II membership, and writing news and feature stories aimed at informing and educating members about important developments for NCAA.org and Champion magazine.
Assist with editing copy for NCAA.org and Champion magazine as needed.
Contribute written content for NCAA Champion magazine and NCAA.org that advocates for the values of intercollegiate athletics and addresses issues that impact the NCAA membership.
Assist with the execution of membership communications strategy through written and multimedia content.
Assist in the development and implementation of the national office’s strategic communication strategy. The strategy uses various audience-specific approaches and platforms to provide clear, consistent and customized advocacy messages about the Association’s functions and issues.
Provide strategic counsel on communication issues to groups within the national office.
Preferred Qualifications and Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism or related field (required).
- Minimum of five years writing and/or editing experience with a newspaper, magazine or website. Experience covering government or legislative issues strongly preferred. Experience writing both magazine-style shorts and long-form narrative stories preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to apply editorial skills to create online interactivity (required).
- Ability to understand and communicate complex issues in clear, concise language is essential.
- Ability to work effectively on multiple tasks under tight deadlines (required).
Communications and national office staff.
Members of the public.
About the NCAA: The NCAA is a membership-led nonprofit association of colleges and universities committed to supporting academic and...