This position will support the legal needs of the Corporate Risk Management (CRM) area that handles the procurement of Corporate insurance policies, reporting and handling of claims reported for such policies, and managing/evaluating corporate risks. In addition, this position will provide legal support for Corporate Reinsurance, as well as multiple business units that conduct reinsurance activities.
JOB SUMMARY: Provides high level of expert advice on complex legal matters in an area of responsibility, business line, and/or leading a group that provides specialized expertise. Actively identifies and logically assesses potential legal risks in ambiguous, unique, and/or complex business situations. Creates valuable risk management recommendations leveraging sound risk assessment information to further achievement of business objectives; effectively communicates information to the client.
RELATIONSHIPS: May report to VP/AVP/Managing Counsel. May have responsible for another Sr. Counsel, Counsel, Paralegals, and support staff.
1. Provides high level of expert advice on complex legal matters in area of responsibility and/or leading a group that provides specialized expertise.
2. Actively identifies and logically assesses potential legal risks in ambiguous, unique, and/or complex business situations. Creates valuable risk management recommendations leveraging sound risk assessment information to further achievement of business objectives. Drafts necessary legal documents and develops conclusions and recommendations.
3. Assists clients in addressing situations of high legal exposure or risk; understands overall business risk tolerance and considers it in the context of risk
management strategies and actions.
4. Creates practical and effective solutions to legal issues with no established precedent; develops creative solutions to unique legal problems.
5. Takes the lead role in negotiations that are extremely complex, strategic or sensitive in nature. Understands the business client's position and needs. Considers the long-term business and strategic consequences of possible outcomes.
6. Delivers difficult messages or news, or challenges the client when necessary; responds to client challenges to advice directly and effectively.
7. Establishes a wide network of relationships; builds rapport with associates at all levels within OCLO and the business client.
8. May train or mentor less experienced attorneys or paralegals on procedural or legal issues.
9. May be responsible for direct day-to-day OCLO departmental operations, including associate performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow and organizational planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: JD Degree from an accredited law school. Maintains an active license in the state in which the position is located.
Knowledge: Has significant experience with or knowledge of an area of law; complex legal practices and procedures. Considered the subject matter expert regarding a specific product, service or specialty (employment, finance, regulatory, real estate, securities, tax, etc.). Sound business acumen and knowledge of the business goals and objectives as they relate to the matter at hand. Based on role, this position understands staff/team coaching and development techniques.
Skills/Competencies: Strong oral and written communication skills for contacts with all levels of management and clients. Analytical ability to interpret statutes, regulations, insurance policies and other contracts. Decision-making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations. Ability to lead, initiate, organize and coordinate complex projects and/or cases that crosses functional or business lines. Takes the lead role in negotiations that are extremely complex, strategic or sensitive in nature. Based on role, has leadership and management skills: team building concepts, motivating and influencing.
Overtime eligibility: Not Eligible (exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Occasional travel.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some associates assigned to the job to performs a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit check and/or background which will be requires as part of the selection process.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 17 months ago