Responsible for assisting head golf coach with recruiting and coaching a team of student-athletes the skills of their sport, mentoring the athletes in academic and personal character development, and administrative responsibilities as assigned by the head coach; all within a Christian university environment.
- Coaches athletes during matches and practices
- Work with student-athletes in developing skills of golf
- Assesses competitor performance
- Formulates workout plans and game plans
- Coordinates recruiting efforts which involves evaluating current and potential talent at high schools and junior colleges
- Mentors students on an individual basis and in groups in developing life-skills, character building activities, and modeling Christian values for students
- Monitors students-athletes’ academic performance and assists them in balancing academics and athletics.
- Track academic program of student athletes. Advise athletes relative to degree program and assist in course selection.
- Monitor academic progress of student-athletes and counsels with them about issues and progress relative to their coursework.
- Organizes and supervises study halls as necessary.
- Operates within the rules as required by the conference and NCAA
- Coordinates the scheduling of opponents
- Arranges for equipment, uniforms and supplies to be available for team
- Plan and execute team travel with authority to commit expenditures up to departmental budget, subject to University purchasing guidelines.
- Purchase within budgeting constraints team equipment and uniforms
- Maintains accounts for budgeting purposes.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE :
Bachelor’s Degree and prior experience having played and/or coached at the intercollegiate level desired but not necessary
OTHER JOB-RELATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the sport
- Knowledge of typical sport-related injuries
- Ability to motivate and deal effectively with people
- Good communication skills
JOB-RELEVANT COMPETENCIES :
- Able to generate enthusiasm and pride amongst players
- Ability to provide clear direction, delegate responsibility, motivate others, develop others’ skills and talents and attract and recruit talent.
- Shows consideration for others, listens effectively, cooperates well with others, establishes and maintains relationships, is adaptive, remains calm under stress and is persevering.
- Demonstrates good judgment, seeks all necessary information for problem solving, and sets clear objectives and priorities.
- Is self-reliant, decisive, proactive, influential, and enthusiastic and makes a positive impression on others.
WORK ENVIRONMENT :
While performing the essential duties of the job, the employee may occasionally work in outside weather conditions and be physically active. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
In exercising these functions the employee must be able to lift up to 25 lbs. occasionally and up to 10 lbs. regularly. The employee must be able to see objects up close.
Houston Baptist University - 8 months ago