Assistant Office Manager/Point of Contact
Finance & Administration Department
Union of Concerned Scientists
Washington, DC Office
This position is responsible for the professional management of the front desk; the scheduling and management of conference rooms, providing "hands on" support to the external information technology vendor and serving as back up to Office Manager. As the First Responder to the public, this position handles calls from the press, UCS members and activists, the public, UCS partners and representatives of elected officials. This position requires critical listening skills, tact, diplomacy and ability to effectively direct calls, and the ability to work on multiple assignments at the same time, to meet deadlines and to be flexible to changing priorities
- Ensures professional telephone and front desk coverage of the Washington Office, and other UCS offices when necessary, during business hours. Provides primary front desk coverage and responds to telephone and in-person information requests.
- Orders monthly office supplies and tracks supply usage. Receives transports, unloads and stocks supplies. Opens all the routine office invoices and prepares purchase records for various vendors.
- Responsible for mail, faxes, and package deliveries. Monitors & assists with fax usage, performs routine maintenance as directed.
- Manages all security cards; fitness center access forms and keys; and bicycle storage access.
- Receives new shipments of publications and delivers to appropriate programs. Keeps pub room organized.
- Maintains workroom supply inventory and orders office supplies for workroom and for staff as necessary. Supports the Office Manager administratively, e.g. assists with new and departing employees. Responsible for the smooth running of the office when Office Manager is not in the office.
- Maintains lobby area, conference rooms, and mailroom in a neat and well-organized condition. Assists Office Manager with maintaining storage areas, publication inventories, and other office areas in neat and well-organized condition as requested. Moves office equipment, files and computer equipment as directed.
Administrative and Technical Support
- Works with external IT vendor, serving as point of contact when vendor needs on-site assistance. Connects desktop workstations or laptops with a docking station, changes printer cartridges. Reboots PCs, router, firewall, and other devices, with phone support from the vendor.
- Monitors conference room reservations and helps resolve reservation conflicts. Manages the large conference room, including providing technical support for video conferencing.
- Maintains inventory of loaner IT equipment. Receives and secures new IT equipment until installation. Reports and coordinates new hires and employees leaving service to external IT vendor.
- Coordinates and supports the DC Evacuation Committee. Orders and maintains supplies needed in case of an evacuation.
Qualifications and experience
A bachelor's degree or equivalent training and experience are preferred. The position requires self-motivation, good interpersonal skills, attention to detail, familiarity with office operations; intermediate level skills in word processing, Excel, and Internet browsers. Demonstrated strong oral communication and customer service skills with a wide variety of audiences are critical for this position. Applicants should have strong administrative and organizational skills, and the ability to follow instructions and work both independently and as part of a team. Must have ability to lift up to 50lbs. Flexibility and a sense of humor are desirable.
A demonstrated interest in and passion for work that serves the public interest and the mission of the UCS. A minimum of three to five years of relevant experience as a program or administrative assistant, or office support staff, preferably in a non-profit setting. Experience with customer service in an office environment strongly preferred. Familiarity with IT support/help desk strongly preferred.
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS's Washington, DC office. For candidates who meet all position requirements, the salary is around $40,000. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment, and is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff andto broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org
idealist.org - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard