Division: Biological Assessment
State/Province: Washington [WA]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Assistant Plant Scientist
Job ID: 2939
Knowledge, Skills & Experience: *B.S. in Agricultural or equivalent experience in agricultural research.
- Provides operational and technical assistance to the supervisor/manager to insure the completion of tasks necessary in the development of improved products.
- Assists in organizing planting, harvesting and other agronomic operations in the field or greenhouse necessary to achieve the objectives of the research program.
- Performs tasks and experiments in the field and/or greenhouse that achieve the objectives of the research program.
- Assist in the data collection, computer data entry and analysis for project needs.
- Schedules travel and financial arrangements for self and crew members
- Provide for the maintenance and service of vehicles, field, and specialized equipment allocated to the research program.
- Supervise and instruct seasonal and hourly employees in the accomplishments of these tasks with due consideration for safety and health.
- Organizes and maintains inventory stocks of necessary breeding lines while insuring correct seed identity and viability.
- Organizes seed shipments in a timely fashion
- Responsible for maintenance and safe operation of research equipment.
- Other work-related duties specifically need to achieve the objectives of the research program as assigned by supervisor/manager.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges: *Ability to carry out instructions on specific research projects.
- Knowledge of DNA sequencing analysis tools.
- Knowledge of plant breeding, plant biology, statistics and agriculture.
- 0-2 years related experience
- D.O.T. Certification
- Good organizational skills
- Knowledge of farm operations
- Greenhouse Management skills
- Good written and verbal communications skills
- Computer literate
- Exhibit expertise in growing plants in field and greenhouse environments. Assist in imputing data in SPIRIT.
- Successfully execute planned crossing blocks
- Manage seed movement
- Exhibit expertise in trial set up and management.
- Always maintain a safe working environment
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Conditions are often dirty, dusty, and hot in combination with noisy equipment. Potential allergens-pollen, fungal spores, chemical pesticides in field or greenhouse. Exposure to high and low temperatures, sun, rain, and dust. Significant domestic and international travel throughout key markets required.
New Scientist Jobs
- 3 years ago - save job