Reporting to a project executive or senior project manager, the primary focus of this position is to provide management support for a project team so it can successfully execute program management (PM) assignments for one or more of the following client types: K-12, campus housing, intercollegiate athletics, campus recreation, student unions, arenas, stadiums, campus edge developments, independent and charter schools, or community recreation. Deliverables for planning assignments include master planning activities, site analyses, needs assessments, program planning, feasibility studies, financial modeling, and market analyses. Deliverables for pre-development and implementation assignments include cost estimating, construction monitoring, constructibility reviews, budget reconciliation, project documentation, design management, A&E selection management, public approvals and permitting, schedule compliance, and commissioning activities.
The assistant project manager is responsible for managing smaller-scale projects and/or executing specific tasks that have been designated to him/her by a project manager(s) or project executive. All tasks shall be completed in accordance with established company protocol. He/she will manage other project team resources as required and ensure that deliverables meet the client's scope requirements in a timely and effective manner. The assistant project manager is typically the secondary management interface with the client and is charged with effectively managing that relationship.
Manages one or more smaller-scale PM assignments. Serves as the primary point of contact with the client. Closely monitors his/her assignments and ensures successful and timely completion of project tasks and responsibilities.
Assists with the management of larger PM assignments by performing more complicated assigned tasks, or directing or supervising the day-to-day activities of analyst or other staff assigned to his/her team. Monitors team progress and reports questions or concerns to the project manager or executive.
Develops planning client deliverables to include research, analysis, writing, document review, or task management.
Develops pre-development/implementation client deliverables to include cost estimating, construction monitoring, constructability reviews, budget reconciliation, project documentation, design management, A&E selection management, public approvals and permitting, schedule compliance, and commissioning activities.
Serves as the secondary management contact for clients, communicating as needed to ensure appropriate follow through.
Participates in B&D's business development activities to include assisting with marketing activites and generating new leads.
Manages project record retention process as needed.
Assists with quality control and client satisfaction activities specific to his/her assigned projects.
Assists with the recruitment and training of new staff.
Generates relevant reports and communicates pertinent information in a timely manner to owners, project executives, other project managers and staff.
Participates in all appropriate staff meetings and training programs.
Assists with the company's research and development efforts by identifying new analytical tools, strengthening existing models, and discovering improved ways of doing business.
Performs additional duties as assigned with the effort and skills required to contribute to our continued growth.
The APM may supervise an analyst and/or additional staff.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in construction management, engineering, planning, real estate management, architecture or related field.
- Three to five years full-time program management, or related experience.
- Must possess a valid drivers license.
- In-depth understanding of the firm's project types, project management concepts and methodologies, and competitive advantages, as well as general industry knowledge.
- Comprehensive understanding of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to apply technological solutions to PM assignments.
- Ability to be productive in a fast-paced, multi-dimensional work environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent group facilitation and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking abilities.
- Strong understanding of real estate, finance and accounting principles.
- Clear support for the firm's mission, values and operating paradigm.
- Demonstrated commitment to client satisfaction and ethical business practices.
- Proven adaptability, flexibility, and creativity.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive within a team structure.
- Aptitude and desire for mentoring and training analysts.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Office environment; moderate noise.
- Field environment; moderate to loud noise.
- Occasional evening or weekend work.
- Air and overnight travel is required.
- Office equipment/computers 8 hrs per day.
- Sitting at desk or table up to 6 hrs per day
- Standing or walking
- Repetitive wrist, hand or finger movement (while operating computer equipment)
- Eye-hand coordination (keyboard typing)
- Hearing and talking
- Extended periods of reading fine print
- Light to moderate bending, crouching, and stooping (filing)
- Climbing ladders.