The Assistant University Architect will support the University Architect in the stewardship of campus planning, project pre-design, and project design efforts, including facility and landscape maintenance efforts. The Assistant University Architect will also manage, as assigned, all aspects of new construction and renovation projects, including budget preparation, contract documentation, vendor selection processes and management of the project team throughout design and construction.
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Experience in commercial or institutional architecture or construction.
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
Architect registration in Texas or ability to obtain within six months of employment.
Other Skills Required
- Must be able to plan and effectuate project decision-making processes.
- Must be able to coordinate work of many on a project team as well as plan personal time and productivity to meet pressing deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be able to deal with stressful situations and critical issues with diplomacy.
- Must be able to work effectively as part of a team, receiving direction from various team leaders.
- Must be a good listener, and an effective and persuasive communicator.
- Must be creative, with good evaluation and critical thinking skills.
Other Skills Preferred
Knowledge and experience with CAD and BIM systems; LEED accreditation or familiarity.
Must be able to conduct construction site inspections at various locations on campus.
(e.g. Weekend/evening work, travel, inclement weather, hazards)
Work environment includes construction sites and a temporary construction office. May be exposed to weather extremes such as rain, heat, cold, etc.
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Eligible for Overtime
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Eligible for Shift Differential
Not Shift Differential Eligible
You have to be as wise as an owl to attend Rice University, and have really good SAT scores. Often referred to as the "Ivy League of...